Bianca's Departure

The di Angelo family stood at the port. It was just before noon and the sky was light. The salty tang of the sea perfumed the port, mingling with the scents of wood, sweat, wine, incense, grain, and other goods.

       It was the day after Athena had told them the news and it still hadn't fully set in for Hazel. Her sister was going to become a priestess at one of the most important temples in the world. She wasn't going to live with them anymore. The time that had spent together exploring the forest or shearing sheep would be only memories.

Bianca was glowing with happiness. It like like her features were bathed in soft moonlight. She stood taller and resembled one the statues of Artemis that Hazel had seen in Athena's residence. Bianca gave her parents each a warm hug. "Thank you so much for letting me do this," she said. "I never imagined — I never thought this would actually come true. To serve as a priestess for the most humble temple would've been an honor, but this. . , I can never express enough thanks to you and the goddess."

"I'm very proud of you," Hades said.

He had never said it, but Hazel always suspected Bianca was his favorite child. As the eldest son, Nico would be given his father's inheritance, but Bianca was the one who had inherited their father's deepest affections. She had never liked weaving or cooking, but she worked hard and bore things without complaint. Maria's eyes wet as she hugged her daughter. "I will miss you."

"Me too," Bianca whispered, "though I shall not miss you criticizing how dry the bread I bake is."

   Both women laughed and Maria let Bianca go. She turned to give Nico a hug, but he turned away, so she hugged Hazel instead. Hazel pressed her forehead against her sister's shoulder. She didn't know when she'd be able to do that again. "You'll make a great priestess," she whispered.

"Thank you," Bianca said.

She let go and turned to Nico again. His expression was closed off, folded like a traveling cloak stowed away in a chest. Bianca bit her lip and stretched out her arms. "Brother, won't you let me say goodbye?"

Nico didn't look at her as he answered, "You're leaving me."

"I'm not leaving because of you," Bianca said. "I'm leaving because this is what I want to do with my life."

She stepped forward and Nico shuffled backwards. "Please Nico," Bianca said. "I don't want us to part on bad terms. I promise that I shall send you letters. You will hear from me often."

Nico looked up and Hazel noticed traces of tears on his pale face. He ran forward and hugged his sister fiercely. "I'll miss you so much. I don't know what I'll do without you."

Bianca ruffled her brother's dark hair. "You'll grow into the man you are. You'll find some land to work on, a wife, and you'll raise children together. Or perhaps you'll become a priest too."

"Never," Nico declared. "I'm not a pious man; I'd scare away all the petitioners."

Bianca laughed and ruffled his hair one last time. "I love you, brother."

     The two sibling clung to each other like shipwrecked sailors to floating timbers in a wind-tossed sea. "The boat is here!" Maria said.

Hazel followed her step-mother's gaze and saw a huge trireme. Cargo was lashed onto the deck and sailors swarmed the trireme like ants on an anthill. Bianca let go of Nico. She looked around and then stepped forward. One of the sailors looked up at her — an old man with rheumy eyes and a white beard. He stepped forward and offered a broad smile. "Are you the priestess?" he asked.

"Yes," Bianca said, her voice trembling with excitement.

"The name's Nereus," the man said. "I'm the captain of this ship of Athena's, The Tritogeneia. We're sailing to Ephesus to deliver goods and drop you off at the Temple of Artemis."

    Bianca smiled and strode forward, but Hades grabbed her arm firmly. "How do I know this is not a trick?" He asked.

    Nereus frowned. "A trick? I only speak the truth."

    "I have just met you," Hades said.

     Nereus sighed. "Kids these days never trust strangers."

     Hades clenched his jaw. "I am a full grown man."

     "Once you get to my age, everyone seems young," Nereus replied. "What makes you distrustful of me?"

    "I've heard many tales of maidens and youths bring kidnapped and sold into slavery," Hades said. "I have a right to be worried on the account of my eldest daughter."

    "I swear by mighty Poseidon and gentle Hestia that I speak the truth," Nereus said. "No harm shall come to your daughter. I can show you the missive Athena gave me with instructions to take your daughter to Ephesus."

"Do it," Hades said.

Nereus nodded and returned to the ship to look for it. He returned a few minutes later with the letter, which he gave to Hades. Hades scanned it quickly and then nodded. He turned to Bianca. "You'll write to me, won't you?"

"Of course," Bianca promised. "I'll write when I get there."

No one's eyes were dry as she boarded the trireme. "Our eldest daughter is all grown up now," Maria said, wiping tears from her eyes.

    "She will be a great priestess," Hades said, patting his wife on the shoulder.

    "She's really leaving," Hazel whispered.

    It had all happened so quickly that it was difficult to process even now as Bianca left them that she would truly be gone. Nico said nothing, but his shoulders were stopped as if misery weighed his entire body down. The di Angelo family watched as the sailors unfurled the sails and began departure. Belowdeck, slaves used wooden oats to propel the ship forward. Bianca waved at her family and they watched until the ship was a speck in the horizon, too far away for anyone to distinguish.