III

"The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them."

- Elizabeth Gilbert

Present day...

"Long time no see, my Queen," came the Foreseer's hauntingly quiet voice from the shadows.

Aurora already regretted coming to this place at night. But she didn't have a choice. She needed answers.

"Can we forego the formalities? You know exactly why I'm here."

He stepped out of the shadows, and she had to crane her neck downwards to look at him properly. He was no taller than the parapet of a well, but his huge cat-like eyes, long braided hair, and jagged teeth compensated for the intimidation that his small frame took away.

The creature in front of her was blessed with eyes that looked into the future, and with a memory that could conjure answers by searching every event of the past, present as well as the future.

"Ah the Prophecy at last, I've not been entertained properly since your little...issue, eighty summers ago."

She felt her jaw clench, and her wrists curled up into a fist in rage, "And you failed to give me answers."

"You failed to ask the correct questions my Queen. I could give you answers now, but then you won't get any about the Prophecy."

Why was she even surprised that he knew about her intentions?

She looked down at her feet, knowing that she had to give up her hope for some actual answers for the stupid Prophecy.

"Fine, what do I do about this situation of The Sydan?" She asked him, hissing through her teeth. She hated being alone with the beast, but she had no other choice.

"Interpret the Prophecy," he said with a smile, exposing his horrible set of teeth.

She clenched her fists together even harder, "Could you help me interpret the prophecy?"

"Wouldn't it be better if you interpreted the prophecy with the group of heroes present here?" He asked.

"And how am I supposed to do that?"

He beckoned to her to follow him, before he hobbled to a room adjacent to the one they were currently standing in.

She had portalled here right after the Council managed to calm down the chaos at the Graduation party.

She wasn't even able to use her powers to create a portal. They were not there any more. She just wasn't able to sense it. They were simply...gone. She was forced to use one of those portal rings.

The Foreseer's den was right on the border of Mediocris on the shore behind the mountains, where it is separated by the sea from Drasill.

It was just a cave whose entrance was carved into the backside of the last of the mountains, and almost impossible to find in the dark.

She, along with Atticus, had the time of her life searching for the lever to his den, the only entrance. And the only source of light they had was a torch Atticus was carrying.

"I think you should call your tool inside too," the Foreseer said as Aurora entered the room. It was covered with maps of different provinces. And she could see different colours of lights blinking on the maps, indicating something that only the creature in front of her understood.

In the center of the room was a table with...something resembling a black hole. Except it was white. She could feel it pulling on her, like it wanted to suck her in.