X

"There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart."
-Mahatma Gandhi

~

"Okay, so let's check, does everyone have their pouches?" Edith the housekeeper called out.

Augustus gave her a bored nod before holding up my very plain-looking leather pouch.

Zarren's expression had been absolutely hilarious when he had asked for a bag to store his luggage and he had been given a small pouch.

Don't worry they are enchanted to hold as much weight as fifteen elephants. They are as cool on the inside as they are boring to look on the outside.

I checked my pouch once.

Pants? Check.

Vests? Check.

Underwear? As much as I could pack.

Food? We have a separate bag for food supplies. I sneaked in as many snacks from the kitchen as I could. We could worry about them rotting later.

Weapons? We do have a separate bag for them as well but I smuggled in a few daggers just in case.

My wing brush? Check. What? You think I don't have to maintain these bad boys?

Pillow? Check. How could I live without one?

Nectar? Again, we have a separate bag for it but I smuggled in as much nectar as I could with the weapons. You can never have enough nectar.

Faerie porn? Check....Nah just kidding, I'm not that desperate...I think...

I suddenly feel the hair on the back of my head stand up, a feeling that someone is watching me. I turn around to find Lia staring at me while holding a piece of paper in her hand. My eyes met with hers and she quickly shoved the paper into her bag.

Interesting...

"Do you have everything, dear?" Martha asked, walking up to me. The Fillian nurse became my unofficial guardian-slash-mentor when my Father died, and I've never felt more grateful for having her, than I do today.

"I'm all set, babe," I tease, pinching her wrinkly cheeks slightly.

"Stop calling me that in front of everyone they get the wrong impression!" she scolded, shoving my arm a little.

"Now listen here, I have five minutes before they will ask me to leave and you will have to take off for the first destination. I love you, Gus-Gus not as much as Trystan but I'm up there I assure you. I'm going to be in Fillian, waiting for the day when you walk in and tell me that you succeeded. You are the strongest asset this group has, because of your power. And don't let it get to your head. Everyone in Fillian is already planning the parties we're gonna throw on your return. Don't let your old mother down," she said, wrapping her frail arms around my head.

I blinked out the tears in my eyes before took both her tiny palms in between my hands and kissed them.

"I will do everything I can Martha. I want your children to grow up in the best world they can."

~

"We love you Elle," Morena Douglas hugged her daughter one last time before kissing her on the cheek.

They had their differences, but the love Rachelle felt for her family that particular moment overwhelmed everything. This could be the last she would be seeing of them, if she didn't make it. Her brother gave her a toothy from before wrapping his arms around her as well.