VII

"Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance."
- Samuel Johnson

AUGUSTUS

"I want August!" I shout.

"No!" Augustine shouts back.

"Fight me," I challenge.

And...My hair is on fire. I feel flames licking my forehead and my skull heating up like fucking Ghost Rider.

"WHAT YOU DO THAT FOR?!" I shout at him with wide eyes before summoning my water powers to douse the flames. But surprisingly they still kept going.

"You wanted to fight," he said with a shrug, a little backed up away from me. I have some top notch attacks to use but I can't concentrate with my brain being a thousand degrees over room temperature.

"WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FUCKING FIRE?!" I ask as I feel my brain melt. Flames do not affect me but I can still feel the goddamn heat!

"As you see good sir, my flames cannot be put out by your useless water powers, no offense Kai," Augustine says with pride, "Only I can put them out."

I summon a gust of wind which blows him away and he lands right on top of Coral who was standing a good half a kilometer away from us. The poor girl grunts as she pushes the tall boy away.

He glares at me and the flames get hotter. I cry out and start summoning cold winds to stop the heat.

"Just let him have the goddamn nickname," Zarren grumbles from behind us, "the stupid fire on your head has begun to toast me."

"Yeah, Gus would suit you," Meena says helpfully, fanning her face, a bead of sweat dripping down the side of her forehead.

"Who's side are you on?" I grumble.

"I'm on the side of Nature sweet Gus," she coos.

I groan at the nickname.

"WHY IS HIS HAIR ON FIRE?" I hear  General Atticus' voice.

As if he has never done it before.

The flames go out on my hair, which are thankfully still in their beautiful state, and Augustine and I have a staring competition. His metallic silver eyes look like they are staring into my goddamn soul.

"GET TO THE AVIARY IMMEDIATELY!" Atticus shouts again.

"This is not over," I whisper to the little jackass before going to get some fucking water to drink to cool my head down.

~

All of us were craning our necks up to look at the Aviary where our next combined training session with General Atticus was scheduled.

We have our powers, why do we need physical training?

I recalled the times when I used to hide behind the tents and copy the exercises the soldiers were forced to do. Before Father...

"How are we supposed to get up there?" Avalkyra asked beside me.

I shook my head, "No idea."

"Have you never been to Mediocris?" Mikaello asked, "you would've known."

"First time coming here," I say.

"No wonder we've never heard of you," Lia chimed in, "Well, we Air users just fly up there. The others need to use the million sets of stairs."

"Did you say stairs?" I hear Pink Boy's voice behind me. Why was he trembling?

The shit people agreed to give him August and give me Gus. Why? Why would they do that to me?