Chapter 5

Nika was anxious to see this Josh guy so she could back to her father's study. She had been reading a book on Hindu mythology and wanted to go back and read, but first she had to meet his friend. "Josh is a great guy, we met through Bob Forrest who helped me get sober. He plays in Bob's band, the Bicycle Thief and he plays a lot of different instruments", said John.

Nika just wanted this Josh guy to show up and go to the studio so she could read her book. Bianca gave her a sympathetic purr as she gently stroked the Persian's silky fur, her blue eyes kind. "Bianca is very affectionate, Persians have a reputation for being snobby but she's a sweetheart. And Gabriel's doing his business", said John as the marmalade tom used the box.

There was a knock on the door and John answered it. "Hey, how's it going? And is this your daughter?", asked a male voice.

"I'm good, and this is my daughter Nika. Nika, this is my friend and musical partner Josh Klinghoffer", said John.

Nika dropped a curtsy as Josh looked startled. "Wow, I haven't seen that except in old movies", he said.

"Her grandparents are British", John explained.

"Okay, I see. It's nice to meet you, Nika", he said kindly.

"And you as well, Mr. Klinghoffer", she replied.

"Call me Josh, Mr. Klinghoffer is my dad", he chuckled.

Nika observed Josh as she sized him up. He was taller than her father, skinny and pasty white, wearing baggy black sweatpants and a black t-shirt over a long-sleeved gray sweatshirt, a black beanie covering his straight light brown hair. She wondered if he was cold since she had yet to see anyone in southern California who dressed like this.

"So John, how did it feel to find out you had a daughter?", asked Josh when they were in the studio.

"Shocking, I barely remember anything from two years ago since I was so fucked up. But Nika is my daughter, she's a Frusciante. I'm taking a crash course in parenting", said John ruefully.

"Your parents probably went through the same thing, my folks too. But my parents don't have to worry about being grandparents any time soon, I'm single and don't intend to every have kids", laughed Josh.

"I thought I'd never have kids either, but it turns out I have a daughter. I got lots to learn, but I love to learn. Now let's get started", said John as he went to a mini-fridge and poured them each a glass of San Pellegrino.

Nika was glad to get back to her book, hoping her father and Josh stayed in the studio a long time so she could read in peace. She knew she would have to meet her new grandparents and his bandmates sooner or later, but the idea made her queasy. Being with new people made her anxious and nauseous to the point of fainting but so far meeting Josh didn't make her ill. He seemed nice but really young and she wondered why he wore such baggy clothes, but the thoughts away to continue reading.

Nika was disappointed when John opened the door. "We're taking a break for lunch, you need to eat", he said.

"Why, this book is awesome", she pouted.

"If you don't eat, you'll get a headache. Oh, I got that one from a New Age store in Venice Beach. It's pretty good, I have books on Buddhism if you're interested", said John.

"It is, maybe one day I'll read the real version of the Ramayana", said Nika.

"I'm still reading the book on Duchamp you lent me, and the Living Dharma book. I'll try to return them next week", said Josh.

"That's all right, take your time. I have so many books I don't have time to read, reading too fast isn't good", said John.

"Duchamp is ugly, Pepere says he was a fraud", said Nika.

"Wow, you've seen a Duchamp?", asked Josh in surprise.

"Yes, and his art was a fraud. A toilet seat is not art", said Nika primly.

"Everyone has different tastes, I love modern art. I love going to galleries since some of my friends are artists", said Josh.

"Art should look like things, I like ancient Greek art", said Nika.

"Oh, like sculpture and mosaics? Those guys were seriously talented, but Classical art isn't my thing. I prefer more modern stuff, if I ever get to New York, I'm going to see MOMA and the Guggenheim", said Josh.

"But modern art is ugly, it doesn't look like anything", she protested.

Josh laughed and bent down to her level. Nika smiled back and saw that his brown eyes were merry and had golden highlights. "Then I ought to show you my art, I haven't had any complaints that it was ugly", he teased.

"Okay, since Dad used to paint. Is it blobby stuff?", she asked.

"Depends, sometimes I do realistic stuff and sometimes I do abstract art. Maybe one day Bob or someone will hire me to paint their album art", Josh said.

The trio went to the dining room as Mildred prepared lunch. "We got the basic track down, we still have to add guitar", said John.

"Don't you record all the instruments at once?", asked Nika.

"No, since it's only two of us. First we do the rhythm tracks and then the guitars, then vocals. Plus the studio is sound-proofed", John explained.

"Okay, so who plays the drums?", she asked.

"I do, I also play bass. When we record the guitar parts, John plays the leads and I play the rhythm. He's more the flashy lead guy and I'm more the steady rhythm guy", said Josh.

"Okay", she replied.

"Maybe one day you can see us in the studio, it will make sense", said John.