Chapter 6

Nika tried to fight off the urge to retch as John got dressed. "We're meeting the band at the rehearsal space, they really want to meet you. You can bring a book if you want", he said.

Nika was speechless and her eyes wide in fear. "Don't worry, they're great guys. Flea and Chad have kids but Anthony is still single, it might be a while before he has kids", he said with a laugh.

John stood in front of the mirror and brushed his curly dark brown hair. It had grown back thick and lush after being dirty and unkempt for so long when he was addicted, now falling down to his shoulders and shining with auburn highlights. "Dad, I hate meeting people", she whispered.

"I'm shy too, and I'm a rock musician. It's funny, I go onstage and play in front of thousands of people but otherwise I'm shy. It's a performer thing", he mused aloud.

Nika thought for a fleeting moment about locking herself inside the library but thought better of it. She could still see the eyes of all those people at the studio as they gawked at her, the wonder child. She went over to the library and scanned the shelves to find something interesting, selecting a fat paperback edition of South of the Border, West of the Sun since it was by a Japanese author, reminding of her of great-uncle Jack.

"Cool, you like Murakami? He's brilliant", said John.

"My great-uncle Jack lives in Japan", she said.

"Wow, that's awesome. I've been to Japan with my bandmates, it has both good and bad memories", said John wistfully.

Nika wondered why her father wore a long-sleeved shirt but thought it would be rude to ask. She took the book and followed him outside where a black BMW was waiting. A man with curly light brown h air and bright blue eyes got out of the car and embraced John, before turning to her with a gap-toothed grin. "Hi, you must be John's daughter. I'm Michael Balzary, but everyone calls me Flea", he said.

"That's weird", she said.

"Hah, I know. Only my mom and my girlfriend call me Mike, it's a childhood nickname. And Nika is a pretty name, and unusual", he said.

"Thank you, Mr. Balzary. It means Victory in Greek, the feminine form", she replied.

"Cool, I didn't know that. Let's go before the others get worried", said Flea.

Nika got in the backseat and John got in the front. "Is there any particular music you like?", asked Flea.

"I like jazz and Mozart", she replied.

"Wow, that's awesome. I love bebop, I prefer Dizzy Gillespie since I play the trumpet. Let me see what what I got", he muttered as he rummaged around in the glove compartment. "Ah, here's some Dizzy", he said, shoving a CD into the player as Gillespie played over the speakers.

The drive towards their rehearsal space was a pleasant one as Dizzy Gillespie blared from the speakers. Flea hummed along to the trumpet lines and Nika was concerned he was going to crash but he drove through the suburban streets of the valley, the bebop blaring from the speakers causing a few curious stares. Flea pulled into the parking lot of a nondescript gray warehouse and John opened the door for her. Nika smoothed out the skirt of her navy sailor dress and made sure her hair ribbon was in place before she followed them inside.

A muscular man of average height with short bleached blond hair was talking with a very tall muscled man in a Detroit Tigers baseball cap when they entered. 'Hey, you must be John's daughter. I'm Anthony, I'm the singer", said the man with short blond hair.

"And I'm Chad, the drummer", said the tall man.

Nika dropped into a curtsy as the men looked startled. "I am very glad to meet you, sirs", she said solemnly.