Chapter 10

Nika's hands shook as she smoothed down the pleats of her skirt while Mildred brushed her hair. "Mr. and Mrs. Frusciante are very kind people, Miss Nika. They will be delighted to meet their granddaughter", said the older woman.

"But what if I'm a disappointment? I hate meeting new people", she muttered.

"You won't be a disappointment, you're their only grandchild", said Mildred.

Nika smiled wanly at the older woman and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She wore one of her new Gap dresses, a navy blue sailor dress with white trim. Matching knee socks with red cherries and red and white stripes on the hemlines added contrast. A navy blue bow perched atop her dark curls and her new black patent leather shoes shone in the sunlight.

There was a knock on the door and Nika immediately stood up straight and her heart beat furiously in her chest. Mildred went to get the door and an older couple entered the house. The man was of average height and stout with curly salt and pepper thinning hair on top of his head. The woman was the same height as the man with wavy dark brown hair and warm brown eyes. "Hello Mildred, we can't wait to meet our granddaughter", said the woman.

Nika took a deep breath and came forward and dropped into a curtsy. "Ohh, how sweet!", exclaimed the woman.

Nika slowly rose from the curtsy and gave them a little smile. "Hello, I am Nika Lacroix, Mr. and Mrs. Frusciante", she said solemnly.

"My goodness, you look just like John with those curls. Please call us Grandma and Grandpa, or Nonna and Nonno, it's Italian", said the woman.

"Grandma and Grandpa is fine. I'm sorry Dad can't be here, he's on tour", said Nika.

"We know, we saw the band on the last tour when they played Madison Square Garden. Maybe when we can see them on this tour, either in LA or New York", said the man.

"I would like to see New York, I want to see the Metropolitan Museum of Art", said Nika.

"Maybe when you come and visit us. But we are going to relax first, at our ages flying nonstop across the country is tiring", said her grandfather John Sr. ruefully.

"All right, your room is upstairs. Dad and Mildred fixed it up, I hope you will like it", she said.

"Nika, you are very formal for a little girl", said Gail, her grandmother.

"My mother's family is British, that is how I was raised", she replied.

"It's cute, but we're Americans. I suppose you're still getting used to losing your mom and living with John", said Gail kindly.

"I am getting used to these new arrangements", said Nika.

Gail and John Sr. exchanged a concerned look. "Nika, we'll rest up and after lunch we'll go out somewhere. Do you want to see a movie?", asked Gail.

"Yes, thank you", she replied.

Nika showed the older couple upstairs to their room as the cats followed. "This one is my room and Dad's is at the end of the hallway", she said.

"We know, Nika. We're first going to rest and then we have lunch and take you to the movies", said Gail.

Nika closed their door and went back downstairs followed by the cats. She turned on the TV and put on PBS for them and found the morning's newspaper, opening it to find the movie listings. She frowned when she saw the G-rated and Disney films but her eyes lit up when she saw that several local movie theaters were showing Gladiator. The idea of watching a film about ancient Rome excited her as she decided to continue reading Mr. Murakami's book.

The hour passed pleasantly as she read and the cats watched PBS. "Miss Mildred, did I behave well with my grandparents?", she asked.

"Yes, but you shouldn't be so formal with them. They are your grandparents and very nice people", the older woman chided gently.

"But Mom always said to be polite to older people", she protested.

"That's if you're dealing with people who aren't your family. Mr. and Mrs. Frusciante are lovely people and they must be thrilled to meet their granddaughter, since your dad is an only child and they never thought they would be grandparents", said Mildred.

"All right. They seem nice, like my other grandparents Pepere and Grandmere. I'm not good at meeting new people", she said.

"Not everyone is outgoing. But believe me, your grandparents are very nice people and they must be thrilled to finally have a grandchild", said Mildred.

Nika nodded as she became thoughtful. She wondered if her grandparents read a lot of books like Pepere and her father, and if they wouldn't mind seeing Gladiator. The idea of seeing a kids' movie revolted her because of their general silliness, the sensation as though her brain was being sucked out.

"Hello, Grandma and Grandpa. Are you feeling better?", she asked when John Sr. and Gail entered the kitchen.

"We're feeling better, Nika. I was thinking, we could go to the mall for lunch and watch a movie. What do want to see?", asked John. Sr.

"If it's no problem, I want to see Gladiator. I love ancient Rome and I hate children's movies", she explained.

"Oh, but that's a grownup movie", said Gail dubiously.

"I like grownup things. I'm reading a novel by Mr. Murakami", said Nika, showing them the book.

"Wow, that's amazing. All right, but there might be scary stuff in it", warned John Sr.