Chapter 14

"Enjoy your week off, and have fun with your daughter", said Flea, clapping John on the back.

"It's strange, on other tours I'd wanted to get home but that was because I was concerned about the cats. Now my parents are there and I'm going to see my daughter again. I really missed her, does that feeling ever go away?", he asked quietly.

"No, every time we go on tour I miss Clara so bad. I felt the same way back when she was a baby, and I still feel the same way. If you stopped feeling that, then you would be a shitty dad. It never goes away", said Flea.

John understood as he nodded. The men bid goodbye to the rest of the group as they got off the plane at LAX and went to their cars in the parking lot. "I hope Josh can buy a new car soon", he said as the younger man got inside his beat-up pickup truck.

"Yeah, that looks like a truck from Hee Haw. Any moment it might just fall apart", said Flea.

"At least his parents are more supportive. I was in the same situation at his age. I hope Nika gets along with my parents, they were so shocked to have a grandchild. They'd about given up hope", said John.

"And they must be thrilled to finally have a grandchild after all these y ears. They're probably spoiling her rotten", teased Flea.

John felt his heart pound in anticipation when Flea dropped him off in front of the house. His parents embraced him and he looked over to see Nika waiting in the doorway, a confused look in her eyes. John went over to his daughter and gave her a hug as Nika leaned stiffly against him with her eyes wide in fear. "Nika, what's the matter?", he asked in surprise.

"I don't like hugs, Mom made me hug an ugly man at the studio", she whispered.

John was both confused and alarmed by her reply. "Nika, I'm sorry if I scared you. I won't hug if you don't want", he said kindly.

Nika nodded silently, her eyes still wide with fright. John made a mental note to ask her grandparents since he knew that Zoe had no other known partners and he was concerned about her reaction. "Okay, do you want to see your present?", he asked.

Nika smiled and her face lit up. John smiled at her and took a bag out of his suitcase. "Josh helped me pick it out, he's a huge bookworm like me", he said.

John watched as Nika took the book out of the bag and saw her eyes lit up. "Ooooh, Oxford Press! Pepere and Uncle Ian say they have the best history books", she exclaimed.

"You're welcome. Josh picked it out, I'm not too familiar with ancient Egypt", said John.

"Are you tired are do you want to order something?", asked Gail.

"I'm not tired, but I feel like going out for dinner. I just ordered room service on the road, mostly salads. I had to explain to Josh that the management pays for room service, he was eating off the Dollar Menu at McDonald's and scrounging for change, he had no idea", said John with a fond chuckle.

"Oh dear, how is he?", asked Gail.

"He's dong really good, him and Bob are doing great with the Bicycle Thief. He looked a bit shy the first couple of gigs but towards the end he was much more energetic on stage. I was the same way when I started touring. He might be coming over sometime in the week to work on some songs", said John.

"He's a good kid, Josh is lucky that he found a couple of good mentors in you and Bob", said John Sr.

"Yeah, since we're all sober. You want me to invite him for dinner, he says his parents are out of town", said John.

"Of course, he's a good kid", said Gail.

John called Josh's parents' house as the younger man picked up the phone. "Okay, Dad will pick you up in the rental. See you in a bit", said John.