Chapter 28

"Have fun and be careful, Dad. The odds of private planes crashing are higher than that of commercial flights", said Nika solemnly.

"Uh, thanks. Don't jinx that", chided John.

"I'm just being honest, Dad. Since you're playing in England, you ought to look up my great-aunts Olivia and Natalie and great-uncle Alex", said Nika.

"Okay, we're not playing Manchester. Maybe one day", said John as Josh's car arrived.

"Hey Josh, how come you aren't touring with Dad?", she asked.

"Ah, they got another opening act for this leg. Bicycle Thief is playing some local shows, but otherwise we're not busy", said Josh.

The ever-present LA traffic meant that it took over 2 hours to get from the house to LAX. "Someone should create a flying car like in the Jetsons", said John.

"Yeah, since we have the worst public transportation in the US, if not the world", Josh agreed.

John got out of the car and hugged Nika before getting his suitcase. "Be a good girl and I'll send postcards and call", he said.

Nika tried not to stiffen up when he hugged her and was upset when she saw the flash of disappointment in his eyes. "I will, Dad", she whispered.

Nika watched as John walked into the terminal past the sliding glass doors. "Nika, you don't like hugs?", Josh asked.

She nodded as Josh helped her back inside the car. "Mom made me hug the host of the TV show, she'd get mad if I didn't. He was creepy", she whispered.

"That sucks, but John is your dad and trust me, he's not creepy at all. He's just upset that you don't like him", said Josh.

Nika burst into tears as Josh giggled nervously. "Uh, don't cry", he mumbled.

"I know he's my dad, but I can't help it. That creepy man grabbed my butt", she sniffled.

Josh's hands tightened on the steering wheel and he wondered if he should run towards the terminal and tell John. "That's horrible, did you tell your Mom?", he asked, trying to keep his voice calm.

"I did, she said I was lying", she whispered.

"Nika, John isn't going to do anything like that, trust me. I've never seen him try anything like that with Clara or Chad's kids or Elijah. Trust me", said Josh.

Nika only nodded as she sat back in the seat and put on her seat belt, watching Josh pull out of the parking space. She still couldn't help flinching when John tried to hug her, even though she knew on a subconscious level he wasn't like the creepy host of that show. The hurt look in his eyes saddened her and she vowed to accept his hugs as she didn't want him to feel bad.

"We're going to Venice Beach, I'm going to pick up Bob and Elijah. He's a good kid, he's about your age", said Josh.

Nika smiled wanly. "Nika, if you want, I'll drop you off at the house. You don't have to go if you don't want", said Josh.

Nika thought about going back to the house and being holed up in the library for the next two weeks, how blissful that would be. However, the idea of being alone in the house with Mildred and the cats saddened her. "I'll go, Josh", she said.

"Okay, but let me know when you want to leave", said Josh.

Nika was glad that Josh put on a jazz CD instead of that weird Radiohead band he liked, recognizing Ornette Coleman's distinctive playing. "Great-Uncle Jack likes Coleman", she said.