// part six: aquatic mine //

Y/n choked as she finally woke up, coughing up water as she sat up. A hand was placed on her back as she sat up, helping her.

"Woah, woah, slow down. Don't get up so quickly, you need time." A masculine, deep voice said. Y/n opened her eyes, looking up. Her e/c eyes met a pair fuchsia ones, a sense of familiarity sparking within the girl.

"Knuckles?" Y/n stared up at him in confusion. The echidna returned the same look.

"How... Do you know my name?" He asked.

"I've seen you before. Don't you not remember me? Where's Sonic? Or Tails, Silver, and Shadow?" Y/n asked. Knuckles raised a brow, standing up as he helped Y/n up.

"I don't know who this 'Shadow' or 'Silver' is, but Sonic and Tails are busy on a mission, I think." Knuckles said. Y/n furrowed her brows, thinking. He doesn't remember Shadow or Silver?

"Okay... Well, where are we?" She asked, looking around. It seemed like they were underground, in a mine. They stood on a platform that floated on top of a large pool of water.

"In the mines. I sensed pieces of the Master Emerald here. I need to get them all as quickly as possible before that bat girl takes them first." Knuckles said. Y/n thought for a moment, 'bat girl'?

"You mean Rouge?" Y/n asked. Knuckles furrowed his brows, glaring up at Y/n.

"You know her? Are you two working together?" He asked, becoming more aggressive as he clenched his gloved fists.

"I don't know what Rouge is doing right now, I just know of her. She's friends with my friend, Shadow." Y/n said. Knuckles relaxed his hands, letting them fall back to his side.

"Ah, I understand now. Well, I have to get to work. I'll help you out of here in a second." Knuckles said, walking past her. Y/n followed him, watching him closely. He leaped up onto the pillar at the center of the room, climbing up it. He grabbed onto a red handle connected to a wire.

As he grabbed it, it pulled him up. Y/n frowned, growing slightly worried as she called out to him. "Hey, you aren't leaving me, right!?" She got no answer. She groaned, looking around. She suddenly heard a smash, then a second later, the pool of water below the platform began to drain.

Y/n gasped, losing her balance. She swung her arms around in the air, panicking as she tried to catch her balance. As the thing slammed against the ground, she finally lost her balance. She yelped as she fell backwards, awaiting collision with the ground.

She felt a hand catch hers, lifting her back up. Knuckles placed his other hand on her shoulder to help her get balanced on her feet again. She opened one eye, looking down at him, then the other. Grinning, she chuckled nervously.

"Th-Thanks, Knuckles." She said, growing shy.

"No problem. Now, don't distract me. I have to find the emeralds." He said, walking around the room. Y/n looked around the now dry area, noticing the pathways. Deciding to go down one, she looked around, noticing multiple boxes.

She opened one, noticing a small, strangely pink rabbit hopping around. Y/n grinned, lifting it up. It didn't fight her as she pet it, holding it closely. What on Earth was it doing down here?

"Oh, you found an animal, let me see it." Knuckles asked, slightly startling Y/n. She handed him the rabbit, watching as he placed his other hand over it, covering it from view. He removed his hand a second later, Y/n gasping.

"Wow, what did you do with it?" Y/n asked, shocked. Did Knuckles know magic?

"I just sent it to our garden. We send all the animals we find to our chao garden." Knuckles said, walking down the hall. As he did, he checked inside each box they passed. Y/n walked further, past him, mumbling to herself.