// part one: the cave //

Kicking a rock to the side, the young girl huffed, her h/c hair blowing in the wind as she wandered through the woods. Her mother's words from before rang inside her head, giving her a headache. People were insufferable sometimes.

Y/n L/n, a sixteen year old girl, who's shy and sweet most of the time. She tries to be nice to everyone, but she couldn't help but get mad when her mother constantly berated her over small things. Things like, "you're never going to get a man wearing clothes like that", or "you being such a scaredy cat won't get you any friends".

She says these things because yes, Y/n is sort of a scaredy cat. She doesn't like people getting upset with her, she hates being mean, and never takes risks with hurting someone. Her mother says this makes her a 'scaredy cat'.

She also thinks Y/n is ugly. Y/n loves to wear girly, cute things. She feels happy in dresses and skirts. Her mother says she's too childish because of it. Her father never says anything to Y/n. She knows he hates her, they didn't want her.

Distracted by her thoughts, Y/n pushed a limb out of her way, but didn't think to stop it, as it swung back into place, scratching a bruise on her arm. Y/n hissed, looking at the branch, then down at her arm.

Letting out a breath, the girl continued. Memories of her and her mother fighting crossed her mind, making her feel miserable. She was never able to escape these types of situations, she could only wait for them to happen. Usually, she'd just ignore her mother and leave, but she had said something particularly hurtful this time, angering Y/n.

"You'll never be anything special, you know that, right?" Her mother said, anger lased in her tone. "Everyone hates you for a reason. You always think I'm wrong, but clearly I must not be too far off if you don't even have a single friend."

"Sure, mom. I'm gonna go out for a while, see you soon." Y/n said, pulling on her red jacket. Her mother bought this, for reasons other than keeping her warm. She stepped towards the backdoor, looking at the woods through the screen.

"You always run away from your problems, don't you? You're pathetic, you can't do anything for yourself. You're a grown ass girl, I'm embarrassed to even call a useless shit like you my daughter." Her mother hissed, knowing her words cut deep for Y/n.

"Then why don't you get rid of me?" Y/n said, turning to look at her mother, glaring. The older woman grinned.

"We've considered some ways. But we haven't gotten around to it yet." She said. Y/n's eyes grew wide slightly, fear starting to bubble in her. She didn't want to be hurt again, or worse. Her mother's smile disappeared as she stepped closer, her hand sliding across the kitchen counter. "You're lucky those asses keep their eyes on you, or else you'd be long gone by now."

Her mother was referring to child protective services. They had been watching Y/n ever since someone reported her always going to school with bruises. Y/n tried to hide them with her jacket, but it didn't always work, resulting in her parents getting... very mad.

Y/n turned away, ready to be away. She wanted to try and run away, but she knew that wouldn't work. She opened the screen door, stepping onto the first concrete step. As she did so, her mother snickered.

"Yeah, run away like a little bitch." She said, turning away. Y/n growled under her breath, sick of her parents.

"You're the bitch here..." Y/n muttered. Her mother whipped her head around, anger boiling within her. Y/n gasped, realizing what she had done.

"What'd you call me, you little shit!?" Her mother dashed towards her, Y/n turning and making a run for it, slamming the door on her mother.