// part eight: attack //

The café was surprisingly quiet after Sonic and Shadow's little argument. Y/n ended up dragging a chair up to the table to stop their fighting. As she ate her muffin, she looked up at the two. Sonic had ordered a chili dog even though they said they didn't serve them (the waitress was a fangirl), and Shadow had ordered a muffin as well, but in a different flavor.

"I thought you didn't need to eat, Shadow." Sonic began to tease him, his mouth full of chili and bread. Shadow looked at Sonic disgusted as he saw the food in his mouth. Shaking away the thoughts, Shadow closed his eyes, looking away from Sonic.

"I don't, but I decided to try it today." He said. Sonic rolled his eyes.

"Sure. I bet you just ordered a muffin because Y/n did." He said. Shadow's muzzle lit up slightly as he blushed, that was exactly why he'd gotten it. But he shook his head, denying it.

"You're just trying to start another fight with me, but it won't happen." He said. Sonic chuckled, looking at the chili dog in his hand.

"You know I'm right though." He said. Shadow stayed quiet, refusing to admit it. Everything was once again silent after that, but it was an awkward silence. One that made Y/n frustrated. She groaned, placing her barely eaten muffin down.

"Why did you guys bring me again? I forgot because I haven't done anything except listen to you two fight." She said, laying her head in her arms on the table. Sonic watched her, suddenly feeling bad. He looked over at Shadow, and could tell he felt the same way as him.

"Sorry, Y/n... We just don't always get along well..." Sonic muttered, feeling guilty now.

"It's okay, guys. Are we gonna go home soon?" She asked.

"No." Shadow said quickly before Sonic could answer. Sonic and Y/n looked at him, confused. Shadow sighed, looking over at Sonic. "You wanted to get to know her better, right? Then ask her something. Talk to her, instead of fighting with me."

"Oh, um..." Sonic blushed slightly, realizing he had no idea how to get to know her. He didn't know what to say, or what to ask her to begin. "I don't know what to say..."

"That's okay," Y/n sighed, her eyes watering as her next words came out. "There's nothing to know about me anyway, I'm no one special."

"You are, Y/n. Even if you don't see it." Sonic said, giving her a smile. Y/n felt herself growing more sad though as he smiled at her. How could he smile at someone like her? There was nothing to smile at.

"Sure. Can we go home now? I'm sleepy." She said, rubbing her eyes, pretending to be tired to mask the fact that she couldn't control her tears. Any time she remembered how terrible she was, she couldn't stop the tears. She hated that about herself, as well as many other things.

"But we came all this way just for you. We wanted to be your friend. You need it, you're all alone here, you don't have anyone." Sonic said, noticing how she kept rubbing her eyes.

"I'm used to not having anyone. I'm gonna go, I'm really tired. All that walking made me sleepy." She lied, standing up. She walked away from the table despite Shadow and Sonic calling out to her.

As she reached the door, a loud explosion suddenly blew her back, making her scream. Just before she hit the ground, a familiar blue blur caught her. He pushed her back up, glaring at whoever had attacked the small café.

Sonic and Shadow stood in front of Y/n as a few silhouettes appeared in the dust. A tall, human man with heterochromia eyes stepped in, soldiers following him. The two hedgehogs stared in shock, eyes wide.

"Hello, Shadow, Sonic. We were made aware that a human has entered our world, we'll need to take her in until we know she can be trusted." The commander said. Shadow growled, holding his arm out in front of Y/n.