Chapter 5

Present time

"Hey Krystal," I pick up my phone and place it up against my ear. "On your way to school, take the long way. I got held up. Trains out. Another villain. I'm not sure when I'm gonna make it into the office."

My dad's voice rang through the phone as I heard what sounded like an action movie playing in the background.

"OK. Thanks for the heads up." I hang up the phone and continue getting ready for school. I put on my Musutafu Private Middle School uniform and undo the ponytail I had worn to bed.

"OK, today we're supposed to go over future high school options in homeroom, we have that biology test fourth hour, and then I have my extra Japanese grammar class between the last two periods." I mumble to myself while I double and triple check my backpack.

I just have to get through my classes today and then I get to meet up with one of my masters helping with the quirk control later.

Easy.

I put my shoes on and quickly throw a 'goodbye' to my mom before I run out the front door. On my way I couldn't help but admire the beauty of all the cherry blossoms flying through the air.

This definitely wasn't Chicago.

———

"Ashido, would you mind passing out these career aptitude tests?" Sensei Sato asked while directed at my friend beside me.

"Sure, teach!" She responds. Sensei responds with a straight face and then rolls his eyes.

Mina Ashido. Quirk: Acid

I giggle to myself as I reach my hand out for Mina to give me one.

"No, no, no, missy. You know damn well you don't need one of these. We already have a plan!" I sigh and sink into my chair dramatically.

"I haven't even decided if I'm applying there yet, Mina!" The bubbly, pink girl put a single finger against my lips to signify my need to shut up.

"We've talked about this ever since you transferred here and I took you under my wing! We have trained together, played volleyball together, and we're going to be heroes together! You're NOT getting out of this." Mina has been an absolute dream ever since my family and I finalized our move here.

She was selected by the school to act as a mentor for the 'incoming American transfer student' and we actually get along very well.

MPMS is very different from the school I attended back home but I've adapted smoothly. The volleyball team was over the moon when my 5'9" head ass walked into the gym wanting to play.

In America I was tall for a girl but in Japan I literally TOWER over everyone, including my coach. There isn't anything particularly wrong with my team but the passion I held for the sport has dwindled since the move.

Mostly due to the fact that I have a quirk now.

"Well you're not getting one of these useless pieces of paper so you better start agreeing to a UA application."

"Wow you guys are applying to UA?" A voice comments from behind us "that's the national school. There's like a .2% chance of getting in. that's crazy."

"Hell yeah we are! Right Krystal? Tell them!" I gave the students my fakest smile and slight nod, hoping it would satisfy Mina's demands.

She rolls her eyes and continues around the room, handing out the papers to other students.

UA high school. The number one ranked school for educating those seeking a future in heroics. It's true I had been training more and more since coming to Japan, and had much more control over my quirk but... Everyone else who talked about becoming a hero seems to have a good reason for wanting to attain that goal. I didn't really have a reason.