The Aftermath

Chapter Four

Nel laid on the ground in pain, holding her shoulder and her side. She faintly could hear the sound of feet running towards her and she fought to keep conscious.

"Nel!" Steve's voice came.

"I am here," she called back from her spot as she tried to push herself up. She heard Steve's footsteps as he ran to her side.

"Jesus, Nel. Don't move!" He said as he scooped her into his arms. "We need a medic in the hanger bay," he said into his earpiece.

"We have to stop Loki," she said as she tried to sit up again.

"Don't," he said gently, as he put pressure on her shoulder. She hissed in pain.

"It's only a scratch Cap," she smirked at him.

"A scratch that goes from back to front. And that doesn't include your side," he said grimly, as he scanned her for more injuries.

"Loki is gone. They had their own quinjet," Tony said as he walked over to them.

"Can't you fly?" Nel laughed.

"Not at the moment. Suit is damaged," he responded as she gave him a questioning look. 

"Where is that medic?" Steve asked into his earpiece.

"Agent Coulson is down," Fury's voice came.

"Paramedics are on their way," another voice came.

"They're here....They called it," Fury's voice came.

A small gasp escaped Nel's lips and they all fell silent.

"Stark, Rogers, conference room," Fury's voice came again after a few minutes of silence.

Steve opened his mouth to respond, but Nel placed her hand on his to calm him.

"Steve, I am ok," she says calmly. "The bleeding has slowed. I will heal. Don't forget, I am a goddess."

"I could never forget that," he whispered pressing his forehead against hers. "I told you not to fight him by yourself."

"When have I ever been good at following orders Captain?" she asked with a smirk.

"Never," he laughed.

"Let us go before Fury gets madder," she said gently.

"You do know Fury can hear you," Fury's voice came through their earpieces.

"Well we do now," she responded, sitting up slowly.

"Here," Steve said as he took her arm and helped her stand. She swayed slightly as she stood, gripping Steve's arm.

"I've got you," he whispered before picking her up bridal style catching her off guard.

"Steve," she gasped in surprise. "I can walk you know."

"We will get there faster this way," he smiled down at her as he began to walk towards the conference room.

"Someone want to explain to me what the hell I just watched?" Fury's voice came as Steve set Nel in a chair and began to asses her wounds.

"We need a medic in here," Steve called looking around.

"Steve, I will be ok," she said as gently placed her hand on his face. "I have survived much worse." Steve placed his hand on her face and leaned into his touch for a moment before a medic came in with their kit.

"The wound on her shoulder went all the way through. The one on her side shouldn't be too deep," Steve said as he moved out of their way. Nel quickly grabbed his hand and squeezed it gently, thanking him.