Chapter 9 - Thoughts Racing, Heart's Pacing

Footsteps echoed through the empty corridors as the lone bushman walked in the building making his way back outside. After raising his voice at his colleagues moments ago, he could still feel his heart racing. He was still in shock he even involved himself in an argument like that. The words, the reactions, the echos, replayed his mind over and over. What had gotten into everyone? Nobody likes to lose, but they were still a team. It's too soon to turn onto each other after one day.

Catching a glimpse of the path before him, Sniper was about to pass the Infirmary. No doubt Medic was in there trying to calm down and have some peace after earlier. He wondered if he didn't interfere before would the accused man actually got up and strangled the life out of the kid. He deserved it, but Sniper wouldn't allow that to happen either. The RED team was his family. There are arguments and quarrels but they look out for each other, at least some do.

Shaken back to reality, he hadn't realised he was stopped in front of the infirmary doors. His mind sparked thoughts of entering and checking how the doctor was. Maybe he needed someone there? But perhaps privacy is also the better option. Is there really a perfect solution to calm a violent doctor in a hot temper surrounded by sharp cutting tools? Probably not.

A few moments passed before he finally made the decision to leave his partner be. He himself was tired and just wanted to get some rest. The problems won't slip away into the night forever but at least forgetting them for a few hours sounded nice. The cool wind was almost refreshing as the doors opened. His RV put a smile to his face. First time he smiled that day. Not bothered to change out of his jeans and dirty clothing, the bushman flopped onto the bed, threw his thin sheet over himself, and let his weary eyes finally close.

* * *

The next morning couldn't come soon enough. Team RED were up early by Soldier's orders and all were ready to give their full efforts to ensure a humiliating loss would not happen again. Everybody was in their pairs in one line as he called the order of the training sessions.
"Listen up! Now, I want you all to give them hell next time we see those BLU's. You hear me? HELL AND NOTHING ELSE! Now get in there and SAY HELLO TO SATAN FOR ME!" An American with a strong voice, but not a choice of strong words. But still, everyone was feeling his energy and eager for their second chance.

Spy and Pyro were first this time. Leaving the other team members to discuss strategies or wait patiently as they checked their equipment. The bushman looked to the German who sat on the bench in silence. His eyes looking forward but clearly deep in thought. Focused, but also sitting perfectly still as if he is not there.
"Uh.. hey, doc.. How are ya feelin?" The Sniper finally spoke up as he sat beside the dark haired male. After a couple of moments, he turned and replied. "Hm? Ja. I'm fine. Do not vorry."

Medic seemed to be dismissive of what went down yesterday. Perhaps it was wise to avoid the topic of conversation until he was comfortable bringing it up, Sniper decided. But still, the uneasy atmosphere in the air definitely made him slightly uncomfortable. Suddenly, he caught sight of Scout passing the doorway and he perked up. "Oi'll be a minute, jus' gotta do somethin' quick." Getting up on his feet he quickly followed the path of the Bostain boy. "Oh hey Snip- AWWH HEY!" Not wasting any time, he shouldered the young man into another room and shut the door.

"Whaddya doin'? Shovin' me round ya could of just asked politely! Ya could of bruised my guns."

"Wot the bloody hell were you doin' yesterday mate? Wot's gotten into that thick brain of yours?!"

"Look I was angry alright? I'm sorry. I've thought bout' it and I do feel bad."

"Tell that to the one who deserves ta hear it, yeah?"

Pausing, he leaned in closer and his voice became quiet, but still stern.

"And if I hear ya barkin' like that to one of our mates, I'll put ya down. Personally."

Giving a nod of understanding, he opened the door, Scout not hesitating to escape out of the small, threatening space. Sniper sighed. He knew he was only a kid, but sometimes they need harsh discipline to learn their lessons. He sees the boy as a younger brother in a way really. Thankfully he isn't actually or his feelings towards him wouldn't be as forgiving.

He waited a few moments in the dark room. His heart was racing again. This never happened before. Sniper cared about everybody on his team. But he's really grown to protecting Medic. Maybe because they were almost strangers before but now the connection is growing stronger since their partnership had been set. After what felt like 5 minutes, he realised what he had done. He sent Scout, who angered the doctor to the point of growling, by himself in a room with only just the two of them. He wouldn't really kill him though.. right?.. No.. even he knew the answer he feared was true.

Flinging the door open he raced back to the locker room to see only Medic still in his seat. No Bostain corpse on the floor or any traces of blood. He breathed a sigh of relief before meeting his blue eyes. "Sorry bout' that."

"It's fine. Vhat vas it?"

"Uh.. sorry?"

"Vhat vas ze big rush about? Jou dashed out and nearly tripped coming in just now".

"Oi uh.. um.. oi had ta.. use the, t-the dunny..?"

A puzzled expression showed on the German's face.

"Ze vhat?"

"Oh.. the ah, bathroom. Had a bucket in me ready to piss out. Ya know how it is when ya get older and gotta go, yeah?"

Medic was silent. Sniper didn't know what was pouring out of his mouth but he was a nervous mess. The adrenaline was still pumping through him.

"Jou Australians are strange creatures. Jour vocabulary is ridiculous. And jour urgency to urinate too by ze looks of it".

"And I suppose you are one ta make fun of how I talk aye? With ya wacky words and thick accent."

The doctor couldn't help but smile and give a soft chuckle. It gave warmth to his partner's chest in relief to see him content and laugh. It was a sight he hoped to see more of.

"Anyvay, jou missed Scout coming in. He actually apologised about yesterday. Ze boy vas shaking in his boots! Hah!"

"Yeah? Wot did he say?"

"Jou know, zhat he vas sorry, he didn't mean vhat he said, he didn't want me to kill him, and zhat he vill look out for me more instead of shouting."

"Sounds good, oi'm glad he came to his senses."

"Ja, but hoh! Jou should of seen ze vay he vas squirming, he must of been scared... He isn't wrong to be afraid."

The last sentence he spoke had a dark tone to it. It was no news to anybody that Medic can be a very, very scary person. But at this point, the bushman felt safe. For now.

Soldier came to the doorway to find the pair chatting. "Knock knock! Training time you two and get TO IT!" The men grabbed their gear and began making their way to face Day Two of their training. Hopefully to make some more improvement and get all their angers from yesterday out on the targets instead of each other. Either way, Sniper had a good feeling deep down. The doctors smile put him at ease. He couldn't get it out of his mind..