Chapter 4 - A Friend's Advice

Leaving the training room, Sniper passed by Engineer and a still drunk Demoman, tipping his hat to greet them as they entered the training room to begin their own practice. As much as he wanted to make sure Medic was alright after how things were left off, Sniper decided that perhaps he would want some time to himself. 'I wonda if wot he said was fair dinkum...' He thought to himself as he made his way to a room he always went for advice when needed; Spy's smoking room. Approaching the door, Sniper gave a firm knock alerting his friend of his visit.

"One moment." A French voice spoke from behind the door before a few moments later, it opened to reveal Pyro. "Hudda!" He muffled, waving his hand happily before allowing the Australian to walk into the room. As much as he wouldn't admit it, Spy was a good friend of Sniper's. They have been there for each other through thick and thin; from Sniper's unhealthy coffee addiction to getting Spy out of his relationship with Scout's mother without getting an ass whooping from the Bostain boy.

"Bushman. Please, take a seat." Spy smiled, pointing to an expensive looking chair, opposite from where he sat, legs crossed. Sniper nodded before accepting the invitation and sitting across from his friend. Even though it was midday, the room seemed dark and the only light was illuminated by the chandelier and the already active fireplace which set a warm and cosy atmosphere. The paintings around the room wasn't quite the Australian's taste, but the detail and colours that were highlighted was definitely a work of the man sitting across form him.

"Havin' a chat with flame boy, eh?"

"Oui. We were discussing about how I do not enjoy being on fire." Sniper chuckled, remembering the Spy's expression when walking into the kitchen with burnt clothing which he had changed since then. Now he looked as if he was before he entered the training room; a red suited classy gentleman.

"And what do I owe this pleasure?"

Sniper didn't exactly know how to ask, or even why he was asking about this. But as Medic's new partner, he felt a responsibility that he should be concerned if the RED team have been pushing his buttons.

"Ah yeah... Somethin' strange happened when me and Doc were trainin' today." He explained, Spy's brow raised under his mask. Slowly he uncrossed his legs, both feet on the floor, his entire attention focused onto his friend's troubled expression.

"We were doin' our shootin' practice and such, and jus' when oi complimented him on how well he did, Doc just talked of how the other blokes didn't 'preciate his work and all. Roight before he left, he thanked me for being the one who thanks him when he heals me." Sniper paused, looking at Spy to see if he was listening. His nod allowed the bushman to continue to the point.

"Oi guess oi was just wondarin' if that was a load of rubbish or not."

Spy was silent for a moment, collecting his thoughts on how to respond. "Hmm... That is a question I myself have not considered." The Frenchman paused, pulling out one of his favourite brand of cigarettes, offering his friend one. After Sniper declined, he put them away, lit his own, and took a puff as he continued.

"I, like you, do not rely on the Medic's healing throughout each battle. Nor does Engineer, since he has his dispensers close by. I am too far away or would risk blowing my cover as the enemy if I called for assistance. Come to think of it, our team does not give our doctor enough credit for what he does. Whilst cloaked, I've witnessed on multiple occasions our teammates pushing down Medic after he has picked them up. But, like us, we must be professional in our work, and perhaps this is why he does not speak up about it."

"Wot? Spy, don't yank my chain 'ere."

"I assure you I am not. If you wish to confirm this information, then I believe you should speak with the man yourself."

Sniper looked up to Spy's face. It's not that he thought he was lying, but talking to Medic seemed to be a good idea. "Yeah... Oi betta' go pop in." Spy nodded leaning back in his chair, crossing his legs again. "Thanks for the talk Spook." Sniper smiled but before he could stand up, Spy had raised his hand to stop him.

"Before you go, I now have a question for you."

"Yeah?"

"You seem to be taking this "partner" thing seriously, no? It's only the first day and already you are concerned about our Medic."

Sniper paused, again, not knowing how to answer the question. He looked down to the ground, but then looked back up at this friend's face as not to leave him unanswered for too long.

"...Let's just say that oi nevar took the toime to get ta know doc. We both have been too busy for one anotha'."

Spy gave a look of curiosity for a moment before nodding his head, satisfied with the given answer.

"Very well. Adieu, Bushman."

"Seeya mate." Sniper grinned, leaving the room, closing the door behind him quietly with a satisfying click.