Chapter 1 - A New Task

BANG! The crack of thunder was enough to cause the Medic to jolt awake from his sleep, his scream startling his doves in the process as they swarmed about the room causing a commotion. "Leise! Dumme Vögel..." the German sleepily mumbled with tired eyes, only to have the response of silence before another crash of lightning to start the show again. "I cannot zleep with zhis racket!" Medic groaned before flopping himself out of his bed, angrily opening the door to exit his room and headed to the kitchen in hope to gain some silence. Upon arrival, Medic sighed with relief to find the room empty. "Wunderbar!"

After some time spent reading the newspaper to catch up on the latest feed of the outside world, the German felt himself feeling more relaxed as the thunder seemed to be over for now. Leaving the kitchen, Medic strolled back to his room, hands clasped behind his back as he admired the mercenaries' doors in the hallway. The only sound to be heard now is silence or snoring. Returning to his bedroom next to the Infirmary, a smile appeared onto his face to see his doves huddled together in their cage sleeping peacefully. "Gute Nacht, meine Liebeling."

* * *

"Crikey!" The bushman jumped in his seat as the weather outside was definitely not what he had inticipated it to be. Let alone, it was no condition to have a man sleeping inside an RV to tolerate the elements of nature. Sniper did his best to ignore the ruckus, as his mind was occupied on cleaning and sharpening his Kukri blade after today's battle. A BLU Spy had followed him to his nest in an attempt to backstab him right as the battle began. However, the Australian was prepared and what used to be one BLU Spy had split in two, a fallen victim to the machete before his respawn.

The memory allowed a chuckle to slide from the RED Sniper's mouth as he looked at the blade. A red stained bloody knife was now one that looked as if it has been untouched, even by it's user. "Beauty..." Sniper grinned, feeling accomplished by his effort of cleaning before moving onto the sharpening.

* * *

5:30am sharp, Soldier wasted no time in banging and shouting on each mercenary's door (and Sniper's RV) repeatedly shouting; "MEETING IN THE TRAINING ROOM IN 10 MINUTES MAGGOTS!" Despite the annoyance of being woken up so early, everyone followed their orders and got themselves ready and all lined up in the training room, awaiting what the Soldier was screaming about. "Do you know why you have been called here?" Soldier asked, eyeing everyone from the moody Scout to the hungover Demoman.

"Ta listen to ya bullcrap?" The Bostain growled.

"NEGATIVE! YOU ARE ALL STANDING HERE FOR A MANDITORY ASSIGNMENT SENT FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR!" Soldier responded, only to have the rest of the RED team look at one another, raising brows and shrugging at the little knowledge of what the American was rambling about.

Soldier immediately pulled out a piece of paper and began reading it, each mercenary listening closely.

Dear Teams RED and BLU,

Recently here at Mann Co. we have been discussing how to improve the war between the teams, as each battle seems to become repetitive and for me, well, it becomes boring. After some time, we have decided to try a three month program of having eight mercenaries from each team placed into pairs of classes that have very little or no experience working together. This excludes the Soldiers from either RED or BLU as they will be in charge of monitoring your progress and will have the responsibility of deciding the pairs. I will be looking forward this "experiment" for the coming battles.

- Administrator

The battles for team RED did seem to be repetitive now they all thought about it;
Sniper was in his nest, mainly having a shoot-off with the BLU Sniper.
Scout always charged through into the BLU base solo and if lucky, returns with the intelligence of he is fast enough.
Spy spent most of the battle cloaked and zapping sentries to help his team pass through.
Pyro was always on the frontlines spitting fire at the BLU's and sometimes returned with the intelligence if he has enough health.
Engineer build dispensers and sentries in the intelligence room and sat there, waiting for BLU to arrive, only to be blown to bits.
Soldier would be blasting himself all over the area along with Demoman. Demoman spends the other half on the time screaming for Medic due to his innacurate sticky-bomb placing.
Heavy would be defending the base with Medic always attached to him; if the Medi-gun was off Heavy for a second, he would scream for Medic just as Demoman would.

Spy was the first to speak up, as the others didn't know what to say. "Je vois... So, have you made your decisions yet?"

"AFFIRMATIVE! Here are the teams so listen up!" The American eagerly smiled before looking at each of them with a stern face, recalling his long and hard thinking of the pairings since he had received the letter.

"Heavy will be paired with Scout...
Demoman will be paired with Engineer...
Spy will be paired with Pyro...
Leaving Sniper being paired with Medic.
STAND IN YOUR PAIRS SOLDIERS!"
With no hesitation, everyone stood next to their new fighting buddy for the next twelve weeks.

Medic was unsure of how to feel, as him and Sniper haven't spend a lot of time together, especially on the battlefield. Medic and Sniper were too occupied by their own business to bother each other. Come to think of it, Medic never had Sniper call for him at all. But if he was passing by, he was sure to heal him anyway as not to leave the bushman out of the picture. Hearing his "Thanks mate" always brought a smile to his face, making the doctor feel useful and respected.

"As previously mentioned, I will be monitoring how you all work on the battlefield so do not slack off! All of you have a training session today with your new partners so be sure to show up or you will have me to answer to! ALL DISMISSED!" Soldier shouted before his traditional salute and exiting the room. Each of the teams decided to head to breakfast except for Spy and Pyro who decided to do their training first to get it out of the way. This was going to be a long day for all the mercenaries...

____________________________

(( Wowww what a terrible start but I can never do introductions to save my life lmao.

Also I want to apologise if I get any German wrong here and throughout this story! ))