𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄: Let Survivors In

- ˏˋ    [PROLOGUE: Let Survivors In] ˊˎ -

- ˏˋ  ✎  [PROLOGUE: Let Survivors In] ˊˎ -

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

"I didn't really have your typical upbringing. I mean, I did at first, but then the world ended. I don't think anyone was really shocked. We always thought it might, and then it just finally happened. But how it happened, now that's where it gets interesting. Agatha 616. Yep, an asteroid heading straight for Earth. I know, so obvious—"

"You talk so much. You know that?"

"Elizabeth, please don't interrupt me when I'm talking. So, humanity came together, and we did what we do best: we shot a bunch of rockets at it! And we blew it up! And it was great! But, it wasn't. You see, the thing that makes rockets, rockets... is chemical compounds, a lot of them, which rained back down on us, and everything changed. And by 'everything', I mean cold-blooded creatures. And by 'changed', I mean mutated and started eating us to death. Ants, lizards, roaches, crocodiles, you name it, there's a lot of them. I knew this one kid who was eaten in his sleep by a goldfish he won at a carnival. Man, Todd loved that goldfish. And that cat—"

"Did you even know a Todd?"

"Not the point. For most of human history, if you wanted to kill a cockroach, all you needed was a shoe. Well, suddenly you needed a shotgun. And sometimes even a tank. And sometimes even that doesn't work. Especially if you don't stay in the tank, Bob—"

"You never knew a Bob, either, did you?"

"Will you shut up? Eventually, the really big ones and our military took each other out. We lost 95% of the human population in about a year. That's a lot of Bobs. And a lot of Todds—"

"Alright, time's up. Get out."

"Wait, I'm nearly done!"

"Hurry the hell up, Joel!"

"Anyway, those of us who survived, we hid anywhere we could... bunkers, caves, panic rooms all around the world. So, for the last seven years I've been living in an underground bunker. It's not as bad as it sounds, really. It's a great group of people, and we all love each other—"

"Oh, my God—"

"For the love of God, Elizabeth, I'm trying to talk! Ahem, and you know, it's kind of what I imagined college would have been like—"

"Out!"

"I'm out, I'm out! And good riddance!"

___________

SIX YEARS AGO

"Hello?"

Everyone in Joel's colony was in a deep slumber. Everyone apart from him.