31| Teen runaway

Alyssa
_______________

The whole drive home, I am terrified. It's not often my parents call me, especially to demand I come home right away, which means either something terrible has happened or they've found out I've broken up with Justin. Deep down, I know it's the latter. 

I pull into the driveway and take my time getting out. Maybe I'm wrong and they don't know about Justin, maybe it's something else, like somebody is sick or they're getting a divorce. God, I hope it's a divorce. 

They are both standing in the kitchen when I make it inside. Dad's popped open the wine, and they're both clutching their glasses as they watch me cross the room. From the look on their faces as I sit on a barstool, it's not a celebratory glass.

"Where have you been?" Dad asks.

"The gym," I say carefully, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl. I'm not particularly hungry, but I'm so nervous, I need to do something with my hands. "Why, what's going on?"

"Justin stopped by this evening," Mom says, and her voice is terse, clipped, the way it always is when she's disappointed. "He was extremely upset, Alyssa. He said you broke up with him. Is that true?" 

The pair of them are looking at me like I've committed betrayal, and in some ways, I have. Without this deal, I have no idea what's going to happen to my family, or to my future, but I can't keep pretending anymore.

"Yes, it's true," I say. 

Their reaction is immediate. Dad slams his glass on the counter at the same time Mom sighs, and all of the air feels like it's sucked from the room.

"You knew how important this business deal was," Dad says. "You couldn't have just waited another two weeks? The party is this weekend, Alyssa. How can I secure this deal when you've just broken his son's heart!"

I get to my feet now, practically shaking. "He's not broken-hearted, he's playing you! He's just trying to get back at me."

"Yes," Mom says sharply, "he told us all about your boxing and this affair you've been having with a gang member. Please tell me you aren't that stupid, Alyssa." 

I'm so angry, I feel myself starting to shake. We are the kind of family who usually avoids confrontation, so this is new to all of us. "I'm not having an affair, and he's not a gang member. Justin said that because he's trying to get back at me. The boxing is just–I don't know–a hobby." 

Mom shakes her head while Dad paces the kitchen. "A hobby? he says. "What is going on with you lately, Alyssa? You're behaving nothing like yourself." 

"Yeah, well, maybe that's a good thing."

Dad shakes his head. "I was so close. So close. You've got to work things out with him, Liss. Just for a few more weeks."

"I can't."

"Why?" Mom says.

I lift up my fingers and start counting off reasons. "Because he cheated on me, because he's jealous, because he's abusive."

The pair of them freeze. I've finally got their attention. "What do you mean abusive?" Dad asks. 

I swallow back the lump in my throat. "I mean, he grabbed my neck just because I went to the gym and didn't tell him. He's insane."

"Are you all right?" Mom asks. "Why didn't you say anything?"

I throw my hands in the air. Sometimes I feel like I'm going insane. "Because I wanted to avoid all of this! I know that things are bad, okay? I know you need this deal to go through, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't keep pretending anymore."