26| Can't think straight

Max
________________

For the rest of our meal, I'm hooked on her every word. I figured we'd have nothing in common, that dinner would be filled with unnatural silences and awkward conversation, but it's not. I could listen to her talk for hours about her life, and even though I've never experienced half of what she's saying, I can't stop listening all the same.

"So, you went horse riding in Mexico even though you don't know how to ride," I clarify.

"The tour guide said we didn't need to know how to ride," she says, "but then the next thing I know, my horse is bolting off down the beach at the speed of light and I'm hanging on for dear life. I lost both my flip-flops that day as well as a little bit of my dignity."

I can't keep the grin off my face. "You know, the more you talk, the more I actually think you're insane."

She smiles and says, "It's actually one of my favourite memories. I've always loved riding – it's the one thing that makes me feel free, you know?"

"Do you do it a lot?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "Haven't ridden since I was a kid. Life kind of got in the way, I guess." She lifts her head, and I notice her eyes have darkened. "What about you, anyway? What places have you been to?"

She leans in closer, and I realize our legs are pressed together under the table. I'm suddenly thinking of that kiss at her house, and my whole body tenses.

"I haven't," I say, still focused on our legs. "Been anywhere, I mean. I've never really left LA."

Her eyebrows fly up. "Not even to go to another state?"

"Nope."

"Oh." She starts to look guilty, and I realize it has never occurred to her that some of us might not have the funds to travel. "I'm sorry," she says. "I have this thing where sometimes my brain isn't connected to my mouth."

I smirk. "It's fine. I mean, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything."

She goes to speak, but the waitress comes over to clear our plates and asks if we'd like dessert. Alyssa says yes before the waitress finishes the sentence, and I suppress another smirk as she opens up the menu.

"I'll have the Baklava please," she says, and I order the same. When the waitress walks off, Alyssa adds, "I've never had it before. Is it nice?"

I smile a little. "The best."

The dessert comes, and as soon as it's placed in front of her, Alyssa wolfs it down like her life depends on it. I watch in fascination, and when she finishes her plate and eyes my own untouched dessert, I laugh and push it toward her.

"So, the Baklava is a hit then," I say.

She flashes a smile, and I swear my heart stops. "I think this is my new favorite restaurant."

When we're finished, I get the check despite her protesting. I lie and tell her she can get the next one, and we walk in silence to my car. "Did you drive to the gym?" I ask.

"No, I got an Uber," she says. "I figure I'm cutting the risk of being carjacked down significantly by alternating."

I grin and open her door. She looks at me for a second, smiling as she slips into the passenger seat. I walk around to the driver seat and climb inside before starting up the engine.

She doesn't stop talking the whole way home. I can barely hear Tupac over the sound of her voice, but unlike when Kino does it, I don't seem to mind. In fact, I kind of like it.