77| Ready to rumble

Alyssa
_________________

I wake up feeling like it's both the start and end of something. Whether I win or lose my fight tonight, tomorrow is a new day, and whatever decisions are made from here on out are entirely mine; there's something beautiful in that.

That is if I make it through tonight. I toss the sheets aside and get out of bed, trying not to think about how sick I feel. A quick shower later, I slip into my workout clothes and start my morning stretches. They not only warm up my body but also help soothe my nerves. After finishing, I head to the kitchen to find Mom up early, with a plate of fruit and yogurt waiting for me.

"Good morning, honey," she says through sips of her coffee. "What are your plans for this morning?"

I give a nonchalant shrug while scooping fruit into my bowl. "I might hit the gym this morning, then hang out with Max later." I haven't mentioned tonight's fight to her and don't intend to. She's had a tough few weeks, and learning her only daughter is stepping into a ring would only worry her. Besides, tonight's fight isn't for her, my dad, or Justin. It's all about me.

Her jaw tightens slightly, showing she's still not entirely on board with the gym or my life choices. But what matters is that she doesn't voice these doubts. She's making an effort, and for now, that's enough.

We spend the next twenty minutes enjoying a surprisingly pleasant breakfast. Steering clear of topics like Dad, Max, or recent events, we discuss college and everything I'm looking forward to. I catch myself smiling, our conversation taking me back to the old days when popularity didn't matter to me and Mom was focused on being my mom.

After breakfast, I sit in my car outside the gym, mustering the courage to go in. Despite my attempts to think otherwise, nerves are starting to set in. It's not just the fight but everything around it – the venue, the lights, the crowd. Max explained that the fight would be in a fancy gym outside LA, packed with people from the Amateur boxing world. Not that I've ever been intimidated by an audience, but the idea of embarrassing myself in front of so many is enough to make me feel queasy.

When I can't sit around much longer, I reluctantly head inside, where Maddie and Hayden are already waiting. Carrying my gym bag, I walk across the gym floor, each step echoing my racing heartbeat. I greet them both with a broad, albeit nervous, smile.

"Big day," Maddie says, enveloping me in a hug. "Feeling nervous?"

"As if," I tease, but I can already feel knots forming in my stomach, growing tighter by the second. I wish Max were here, but he has a delivery shift this morning and will meet me just before the fight to take me to the gym instead. I'm trying not to think about it; overthinking might lead to second-guessing. So, for now, my attention is on Maddie and Hayden. "Are we sparring this morning?"

"Not exactly," Hayden says, leading us to the equipment box. "You don't want to risk hurting yourself before the fight, but Maddie will review some footwork and techniques with you. Just try not to wear yourself out."

"Sir, yes, sir."

He gives me the same kind of playful eye roll he gives Maddie, and I smile. While we're not exactly the closest of friends, I'm happy I have such a supportive group around me. The idea of leaving them all behind for college is terrifying.

Still, there isn't exactly time to think about that now. After gearing up, I join Maddie in the ring. We spend an hour on stretching and light footwork, with both Maddie and Hayden offering last-minute advice. I had worried that coming to the gym might heighten my nerves, turning me into a mess before tonight.

Instead, it does the opposite. Training with Maddie and watching her face light up when I master a move makes me feel capable of anything. Regardless of tonight's outcome, I'm not just excited – I'm ready.