80| Made of glass

Max
_________________

Missing even a second of Alyssa's fight was never part of the plan. But then I caught sight of Justin at the back like he had any right to be there, and I flipped. One look at that smug fucking face could cost Liss everything. I needed to do something.

With only a minute and a half left of the first round, I angled toward Justin, who barely had time to react before I grabbed his t-shirt and pulled him into the employee hallway without saying a word.

"You must have a fucking death wish," I hissed, shoving him against the wall, "because only a real fucking idiot would show up here after everything you've done." God, I wanted to hit him – not just hit him, but beat him to a bloody pulp. This kid had caused more damage to my brother and Liss than anyone I knew, and I wanted to fucking kill him for it – consequences be damned.

His smile widened. I readied my fist as he lifted his head, his skin appearing sallow and bruised beneath the harsh fluorescent lights. If I didn't know better, I'd think his pupils were dilated, a clear sign he was on something, which made a lot of sense. A fresh red bruise sat beneath his eye as if someone had beaten me to the punch. I paused, and then, "Who else did you piss off tonight?"

"My dad." He shrugged, trying to keep his voice even, but couldn't quite mask the slight shake. "He doesn't take too kindly to having to bail me out of jail, you know?"

The overwhelming urge to punch him faded, even as he smirked. In fact, as I stared at him, I saw the tiniest glimpse of myself. Clearly, it didn't matter what world you were from; there were shitty parents everywhere. "Do yourself a favor," I said, beginning to loosen my grip, "and–"

"I'm not leaving," he said with unwavering defiance. "I mean, I'm why she's here tonight, right? What kind of guy would I be if I didn't at least show my support?"

Red. Just blinding, hot red. "The reason she's here has nothing to do with you," I growled, seizing him by the throat. Leaning in, I resisted the urge to tighten my grip, determined to wipe that Pretty Boy smile off his face. "I'm not playing around. Get the fuck out of here while you still can." Don't kill him. Don't kill him. Don't kill him. If I end up going to jail on murder charges, Liss will never forgive me.

"If you want to hit me," Pretty Boy said, leaning against the wall, "then go ahead and hit me." With his eyes shut, he braced for the impending impact of my fist on his face. "I'm waiting," he goaded when I didn't move. "Hit me."

It was his same old trick of provoking a reaction from me, aiming to get me arrested. Or maybe it was the influence of drugs that made him act like this. Or perhaps the kid had lost his damn mind.

"Not chickening out now, are you?"

I kept staring at him, my hand still clenched around his throat. For a brief moment, there was nothing on his face—no fear, no cockiness. Just the expression of a man who had surrendered completely. And that's when it hit me: this was the last card he had left to play. His only power over me was forcing me to fight on Liss's big night while knowing how much it would hurt her. For once, the Pretty Boy had nothing left to lose. And I had everything.

Releasing his neck, I stepped back, waiting for him to open his eyes. "Thing is," I said, looking him over, "you're just not worth it." And then I turned around, ready to head back to Alyssa.

"It won't last, you know," he called after me. "Whatever it is that she feels for you. It won't last."

I should have kept walking. My fingers were seconds away from pushing open that door and getting out. Liss would be over by Hayden by now, possibly even wondering where I was. But instead, I looked over my shoulder.