Chapter 2

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

Three knocks disturbed your thoughts. You trudged over to your door and opened it, to see 2 men stood before you. You blinked twice and stared at them. What were they doing on your doorstep? They both looked far too young to be police officers, and neither were in uniform. One wore black trousers, suspenders, and a long belt with a white shirt. He had white hair, with one side longer than the other. And purple and yellow eyes. The man beside him had soft brown hair. He wore a beige trench coat, a white shirt, beige trousers, and dark shoes. Alongside a brown bolo tie with a blue pendent in the middle.

"Err can I help you?" You asked the two men.

"Why yes. We're with the Detective Agency and we had some questions for you." The brunette spoke.

"Ok? But why do you need to ask me questions?" You ask, feigning that you know why.

"Well, it's about what happened earlier in the street." He replies.

"I'm sorry sir, but I have no idea what you're talking about." You reply.

"I'm sure you know full well what I am talking about. Your involvement in the fight in the street." The brunette replies.

"Involvement? But I've been here all day. I really don't have time for this. I have a dog to feed." You say feigning innocence.

"Oh? So you didn't save a woman from the clutches of death?" He asks.

You sigh loudly. "Ok. So what if I did save a woman from the clutches of death? Doesn't justify who's right or wrong in this world. It means nothing. I stuck my nose in someone else's issues." You respond.

"But you saved a life. Surely that's good." The white-haired boy spoke up.

"Even so, I played with fate. But if you so desperately want me to answer your questions, then fine. But know this, I don't agree with this." You reply.

Was this god's way of telling you that what you'd done was good? Was it trying to shine a light on your ever-so dim world? You were unhappy to say the least. Answering the questions of a prying human. It wasn't something you had to deal with everyday. Following them blindly to where they work. Were you happy with this situation? No. Could you escape their questions? No. So you had no choice but to blindly follow like a sheep. Hoping the answers they receive are good enough.

You stood before a building. Multiple stories. You stared at it, wondering why you were at such a place. It looked like an average building to the naked eye. But it wasn't what it looked like. A café towards the bottom and a workplace higher up. You followed the two men into the café before ascending a set of stairs to a door with a plaque emblazoned "Armed Detective Agency". You were sceptical of who could be behind the door.

The two men led you in, gesturing you to follow also. You look around at the different people who worked within this building. Some looked busy at work, others looked like they were slacking off. Your eyes darted to a seating area in the corner of the office. They led you there and you all sat down. Somehow, being in this office made you feel somewhat uneasy. You had never been in the presence of other ability users before. You weren't too sure if any of then had abilities.

"So what were you doing earlier on today?" The brunette asked.

"Depends what you mean. And how far back we're talking about." You say.

"Are they purposefully concealing information? Come to think of it, they'd be perfect to commit double suicide with." The brunette thought to himself causing you to cringe at the thought.

"First, I am not concealing information just asking you to be specific. And second, no I will no commit double suicide with you." You say.

"Oh?" The brunette said, shocked.

"I was taking a stroll through the city. I stopped when I felt something wasn't right. The man in question. He made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. So I kept my eye on him. That's when he reached into his pocket and pulled out a concealed weapon. So I ran to him and stopped him from attacking some woman." You reply.

"And how did you know someone was going to be targeted? And how did you know this man was the criminal?" He asked.

"Instinct." You reply.

"Hmm." The brunette says.

"Also, I never caught either of your names." You say, changing the subject.

"Oh. I am Osamu Dazai." The brunette says.

"I'm Atsushi Nakajima." The white-haired says.

"Atsushi you can go. I'll handle this." Dazai says.

"O-ok." Atsushi says.

"Now I do wonder what a member of the Port Mafia is doing working for the side of good. It's a laughable situation. I wonder if your colleagues know." You say.

"And how would you know my previous employment?" He asks.

"Oh? Are they an ability user? I wonder what kind." Dazai thinks to himself.

"Quite easy. I deducted it." You lied.

"A deduction huh? So where do you currently work then?" He asks.

"I am unemployed." You comment.

"Unemployed huh?" He states.

"Yes. I never really liked working." You say.

"Then why don't you join the Detective Agency?" He asks.