Chapter 9

On the walk back to the office, you were deeply lost in thought. Trying to work out the best strategy you could that would fit your goal and have a high percentage of success. Running through different scenarios in your head, they all seemed to have a low percent chance of success. You were at a disadvantage due to the fact you had to pretend you had either a low paying job, or no job at all. Appearances were everything.

You sighed aloud, catching the attention of Ranpo.

"Struggling to think of a 100% success outcome?" Ranpo asked.

"Yeah. It's harder when there are so many factors involved." You replied, sighing again.

"In what way?" Ranpo said.

"Well, in terms of how I talk, how I dress, how I act, how I portray myself. I need to make sure everything I do and say portrays the job I'm trying to say I work as. A lot of lying is involved in this. I just have to hope I, and Jess can keep the lie up." You say.

"You, not Jess. Remember she most likely would be considered a suspect of theirs. Well, most likely she'd meet their criteria. You, not so much." Ranpo replied.

"I know, I just have to think of a job that'd fit their criteria." You sigh.

The conversation went silent after that, with you and Ranpo then going your separate ways as you had decided to go home early and attempt to come up with a plan. However, you were interrupted on your journey.

"Help me!" A voice called out.

"Where are you? Keep calling out so I can find you." You replied.

The person continued to call out until you found them. It was a woman. Hiding behind a discarded cardboard box. In an alley. Badly injured. You quickly rushed over to her and helped her up to her feet.

"Please don't let them find me. Please, I can't go back there." The woman thought.

"Go back where?" You asked.

"Huh?" She replied.

"I can't explain right now. I'll get you somewhere safe, and then if you don't mind, I have several questions for you. Only questions." You reassured.

The person nodded, allowing you to bring her to a safe location, out of harms way. Once you had, she asked you a question first.

"Won't you be in danger if they find you here with me?" She asked.

"No, because this isn't my house." You replied.

"I see.." She said, not knowing what else to say.

"Are you alright with me asking you some questions?" You asked.

"Is she going to do anything to me?" She thought to herself.

"No, I won't. Besides, you can leave when you want. I won't stop you." You reply.

"How do you know what I'm thinking?" She asked, a little panicked.

"A part of my ability is that I can read minds. No matter if a person tried to hide their thoughts or not." You reply.

"I see... then yes. You can ask me anything." She replied.

"Thank you. First, may I ask what your name is?" You started.

"Amaya Shimabukuro." She replied.

"Night rain, huh? That's lovely." You comment.

"It is, isn't it?" She replied with a slight smile.

"I had a younger sister called Ryo." You sighed.

"Brightness... the one thing I could've used in my life." Amaya said with a broken smile.