thirteen.

Winter break was in full swing and the world was dusted in snow, just like a snow globe but much less aesthetically pleasing. An evident chill hung in the air and prickled (Name)'s face whenever it grazed by, causing her to shiver deeply and snuggle into her blankets in search of heat. Normally, (Name) would hole herself up in her room and catch up on some much need self-love me time but she promised Aika that they would go out during the break. Being a hermit, (Name) heavily regretted her promise to her friend, she didn't understand why she would put the effort in dressing warmly to go outside when she could just stay inside and remain warm trouble-free. Who knew that that would bite her back in the ass.

Today, (Name) had to face the cold head-on and step outside to the barren lands. How fearsome.

A few days ago, (Name) was in the midst of binging her favourite shows while snuggled deep in her blankets and her warm bed. Just as it was getting to the good part, the building suspense was interrupted by a buzzing from her phone. She groaned loudly and paused the show angrily, all her excitement vanishing due to the ringing of her device. The grumbling girl rolled across the bed to her phone that was sitting by her nightstand and picked it up lazily. It was a message from Aika saying that they would be going to this winter festival and (Name) shivered after realizing that she'd have to go outside.

Before she knew it the dreaded day rolled around and (Name) was currently sulking in her bed.

Not only did she have to wake up early but she'd have to walk, something that she hasn't done ever since school ended. After a good fifteen minutes of moping, she finally got out of bed and got ready. After coming back to her room all refreshed and with a full stomach, she opened her closet. She lazily shrugged on a shirt and a hoodie and slipped on the thickest pair of pants she owned, (Name) got cold easily so she was not taking any chances. She threw a few essentials into her backpack, snacks, water, phone, keys, wallet, all that jazz. Putting on her coat and beanie she made her way to the door and slipped into her sneakers. The snow was very light today so (Name) felt that is was unnecessary to wear such clunky boots, it'd be such a drag as well.

(Name) locked up her house and made her way to the subway station, their meetup spot, and began walking. She had some time to kill and the station was around a thirty-minute walk away, it was a good way to get used to the weather and take in the surroundings. Look at me being healthy, getting fresh air and doing exercise. Such a queen, she thought. (Name) couldn't help but feel excitement slowly form inside her, ready to tackle her friends in a big hug when she saw them. Although she was against going out at first, she realized that she'd finally get some face to face socializing done after weeks of staying home. Of course, (Name), Aika, Emiko, and Hana made sure to message and call daily but it wasn't the same. (Name) exhaled a breath and watched as it fogged up instantly in front of her, although it was somewhat chilly it was manageable. Not as bad as she thought it would be. The soles of her shoes crunched lightly on the snow that dusted the ground and she took in the calming environment. The streets weren't bustling with people and there was a tranquil silence that took place.

As she neared the station, she noticed the abundance of Christmas decorations that were strewn across every store she passed. The Christmas spirit was on fire with Santa cutouts, ornaments, and wreaths. One store even set up a Christmas tree outside, (Name) thought it was really beautiful. This reminded (Name) how her winter break flew by so quickly, she could've sworn she's been home for only a few days and that these stores were pulling out the Christmas decorations early. She pulled out her phone and checked the date, frowning as she noticed that Christmas was right around the corner next week. As much as she should be excited for Christmas, (Name) was a little down. Mainly because it served as a warning that the break was almost over and that she never bought and gifts for her friends. She decided that if she came across something worthy of a gift she'd buy it, or just treat them out to food.