4: When You See Me Like This

Hi, everyone! Just letting you know I changed my mind about POV...it will all be written from Eda's POV, with the exception of flashbacks. :)

***

Previously:

"We're going." I looked back at Serkan. "Tell Jane I'll contact her regarding the refund of the deposit."

"Wait, what?" Seyfi was going to be so mad at me. And he was right to be. But I just couldn't do this.

"Let's go, Seyfi."

Serkan called after me. "Eda, I'm not going to give up on you."

I turned to look at him. "I've heard that before." And then I knew I'd hurt him and it was satisfying. Until it wasn't.

***

Serkan looked wounded, but my gaze didn't waver. He took a minute to recover, then raised his eyebrows and shrugged. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm here now." 

"It's a big city. We never have to see each other," I shot back.

He smiled as he walked toward me, crowding me against the door. He swallowed visibly, and I was mesmerized by the movement of his throat. "But I'm sure we will." That infuriating calm again. 

He reached into his pocket and took out a card. He took my hand in his, sending a million little sparks of electricity through me where his skin touched mine. I gasped in surprise. I couldn't look away from him if I tried. How could he still affect me like this? He pressed his card into my palm, closing my fingers over it. His thumb ran across my knuckles, just once. "Here, take this. For when you call me and tell me you've changed your mind. My private cell number is written on the back."

I snatched my hand from his. "Don't touch me again." I fairly snarled at him. "Goodbye, Serkan." I wasn't going to argue with him anymore. 

He responded with his maddening half-smile and I felt like breaking something. "Goodbye for now, Eda."

I narrowed my eyes at him and opened the door, starting toward my car. I expected Seyfi to follow me, but when I heard him talking to Serkan, I stopped before I got in the car. They knew each other...from before...and I was curious about what he was saying to him.

"It's good to see you, Serkan." Seyfi said, his voice quiet.

"You too, Seyfi. Maybe we can get together for drinks or something?" I turned around at that.

Seyfi smiled and nodded at him. He looked over at me, aware that I was listening. He hugged Serkan. "I'll talk to her, okay?" He whispered it. He thought I couldn't hear, but I did.

"Come on, Seyfi!" I was yelling now. If he thought he was going to plot against me with my ex, he was wrong.

***

I gave Seyfi the silent treatment in the car, but by the time we arrived at my house, I couldn't hold it in anymore.

I didn't even wait until we got inside. As I unlocked the door to the house I shared with my aunt, I started in on him. "What do you think you're going to talk to me about that will change my mind, Seyfi? You didn't know this project was Serkan's, did you?"

"No, I didn't! Of course I didn't! I was just as surprised to see him as you were."

I pushed the door open and went inside, hanging my bag up on the coat rack at the entrance and slipping my shoes off. Seyfi followed suit.

"It's not going to happen, Seyfi, so save your breath," I said as I walked into the living room.

"You're not being reasonable, Eda!"