2: Banished Every Memory

Previously:

"Serkan Bolat." His name was the last thing I said before I fell asleep and he caught me in his arms.

Eda

I burrowed deeper into my pillow, sighing in contentment. With my eyes still closed, I breathed in deeply and smiled; my pillow smelled like him.

"Serkan." I heard myself say his name, calling for him in the pouty voice I used to get what I wanted from him. He gave in to me every time, my sweet man. I felt around, looking for him, and when my hands found him, I wrapped my arms around him and held him tight, burying my face in his neck. "Mmmm. You smell so good. Let's cuddle, Eşek. I'm not ready to wake up yet." I felt the vibration of his soft laugh in his chest and it made me smile bigger and burrow deeper into his neck. I filed it away for later--he liked 'donkey'. I was so comfortable and so happy, I wanted to stay there in his arms forever.

His arms tightened around me and I felt his cheek rub against my hair, his hands rub up and down my back. "Eda. Eda, wake up." His voice was faint, barely breaking through my consciousness. I tried to open my eyes and look at his face, but they were so heavy they fell closed again. "That's right, Eda. Open your eyes." His voice was coming through stronger now...that deep, sexy voice that did things to me.

I ran my hand up his chest and cupped his cheek, my thumb stroking his face. He felt different--instead of his soft beard, short, prickly stubble covered his jaw. I struggled to open my eyes and look at him, and when he came into focus, I noticed his beard was gone. "Did you shave your beard?" God, he was so beautiful. My heart nearly leapt out of my chest at the sight of him. It was like that every single time I looked at him. I petted his face, feeling his scruff against my palm. I looked at him and smiled, my eyes still half-closed. "You're the most handsome donkey in the whole world, Serkan."

He leaned down and whispered into my ear so only I could hear, making me shiver in his arms. "And you're the most beautiful woman." He stroked my hair, his thumb grazing over my ear. "I need you to wake up, okay? Wake up for me, Eda."

And then suddenly I was fully aware of where I was and who was holding me. My eyes went wide with shock and I practically jumped off of his lap and away from him. My heart was beating so hard, I could actually feel the blood pumping through my veins, I could hear its frantic rhythm like a bass drum in my ears. "Serkan?" He stood up, and though he didn't move to come closer to me, I took a step back and I saw him sigh in frustration, like he used to when he couldn't get through to me. "Serkan, what are you doing here?"

"This is my house, Eda."

I looked at Seyfi and he looked worried. He shook his head, telling me he had no idea. Then I looked over at Leyla, who had a glass of water with lemon in her hand. She nodded, confirming Serkan's declaration. She looked like she was sorry for being complicit in shocking me nearly to death. I knew it wasn't her fault, but I still narrowed my eyes at her. She walked over to me, her steps tentative, and held out the glass for me without making eye contact. "This is for you. Serkan Bey asked me to bring it."

I took it from her and took a long drink. "Thank you, Leyla." I guessed I should put her out of her misery. She was just an innocent bystander. Everything happening was Serkan's fault. She looked at me and smiled warmly and gave me a curt nod. She seemed sweet. I could tell she was relieved that I wasn't mad at her.

Serkan just stood there looking at me. His gaze moved slowly over my face, then down my body, taking in the very professional, yet stylish green skirt suit Seyfi had picked out for me, moving down the length of my legs, then back up to my face. I ignored the way my cheeks flushed and my heartbeat shifted from pounding in shock and anger to racing with awareness. I couldn't stop myself from fidgeting under his stare, and I mentally chided myself for still being affected by him.