47. Chaos all over

Tomorrow was the big day and Salem was not looking forward to it in the slightest. Despite the fact that she knew that the big day was tomorrow, she wasn't acting like a nervous wreck like she thought she would be. Salem wrote it off as the calm before the storm, because there was no way that the anxiety wouldn't creep up on her.

Currently she was staring up at the ceiling of the common room as she laid on the sofa quietly, softly drumming her fingers against her stomach. Fred had joined her sometime later that evening and had put her head on his lap, gently stroking her hair absentmindedly as he talked to Lee and George about new products for the jokeshop. It was incredibly soothing.

"–and that building on Diagon Alley? It's expensive, but if we save up enough money we'll be able to afford it."

"I could always lend you some money–" Salem started, but was interrupted by protests from both Fred and George.

"That's sweet of you, love–"

"But it won't be necessary, Sal. We've got it covered. Next year we'll get the last bits and pieces we need and we're ready to go."

She glanced from George to Fred and from Fred back to George, both were smiling gratefully but their eyes were set in determination. There was no way she'd be able to convince them of otherwise, they were stubborn like that.

Just then she remembered an idea that had developed for a new product for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, but when she opened her mouth to tell them she was interrupted by Colin Creevy. He was smiling brightly and almost bouncing on his spot as he rocked on the back of his feet. Salem noticed how he did that every time he was nervous and she therefore offered him a reassuring smile.

"Do you have a question, Colin?"

Colin blushed deeply as now all eyes of the group of sixteen year olds were on him. He nodded and glanced between Salem, Lee and George before letting his gaze settle on Fred. "Professor McGonagall wanted to see you in her office."

When they all started to rise from the sofa and chairs Colin shook his head. "Just Fred..."

Salem frowned as she pulled herself off her boyfriend's lap. Why would McGonagall only want to see Fred? What had he done now?

With an annoyed look she glared at him, making him raise his hands innocently. His eyes, though, were sparkling with mirth and she noticed how he was suppressing a smirk at the sight of her irked expression. "I haven't even done anything, love, nice to know that you trust me."

"That's what you said last time when you 'accidentally' turned Flitwick's hair blue and bronze during Charms when we were practicing Nonverbal Spells." She scowled and the smirk broke through on his face as he recalled the memory.

"Ah, that was a good day." He sighed wistfully and laughed when Salem pinched his side. "You laughed just as hard at that, don't try and deny it!"

"She didn't laugh all that much when Flitwick figured it was her who cast the spell so perfectly and gave her the detention instead of you." George mused with a chuckle and Salem's scowl deepened.

"You should consider it a compliment, love, he knows you're the best at Charms and wants to give you the credit for it."

Salem gave him the finger which only made him laugh harder. Butterflies erupted in her stomach unwillingly at the sight of the bright smile on Fred's face. The butterflies in her stomach had taken a permanent residence there ever since they were together. Her face burned and when she noticed how Fred was smirking as he looked at her blushing cheeks she cleared her throat and looked back at Colin who was shuffling uncomfortably, obviously waiting for Fred to follow him, but not daring to tell him to hurry up.