43. The Yule Ball

Salem breathed in a big gulp of air. Godric, she was nervous. Macy squeezed her shoulders comfortingly and locked eyes with her in the mirror. "You look absolutely stunning, Sal, you've got nothing to worry about. Fred being blown away by your looks is putting it mildly, the boy will probably faint when he sees you."

A breathy laugh escaped her lips. "I can't have him fainting on me, we still have to open the ball with the first dance. And don't forget about yourself either, Mace... George will die of lack of breathing, you're simply that gorgeous!"

Macy looked down bashfully, but a smile graced her lips. "Thank you, Sal... I think we can all agree that all of our dates are lucky."

Noises of agreement filled the sixth years Girls' dormitories and Salem let her eyes stray over their more crowded dorm room than usual. Katie and Hermione had joined them which pushed the current occupants up to six, considering that Angelina and Alicia were there as well.

"Come on, let me take a picture of you for Sirius and Remus." Macy said and Salem stood up and wandered over to a piece of the room which was less cluttered with all their belongings. She took the picture with great precision and a few seconds later it appeared out of the Polaroid camera. "Oh Salem, it's beautiful! I'll still have to enchant it of course, but it's already beautiful this way."

Salem came to stand beside the girl and gasped lightly. She couldn't believe that that was actually her in the picture. Her white dress shimmered in the light and complimented her light skintone, it made her appear more tan than she actually was. The straps and bodice of the dress clung to her body and accentuated the few curves she had.

She was surprised that Remus had managed to convince Sirius that this dress was appropriate, considering that it showed so much skin. But she definitely wasn't complaining.

The dress flowed out near her waist and ended in a beautiful train which followed her wherever she went– she would have to keep that in mind, before she would trip over it... There was a slit in the skirt which showed off her left leg and the dark smokey-eye look, which Angelina had applied on her eyelids, contrasted nicely with her white dress and went great with her dark and straightened (for the occasion) hair.

All in all, Salem had never felt more beautiful as she looked at the picture of herself.

"Come on, let's take one together and after that I'll take one of you alone as well," Salem said as she smiled at Macy

Within minutes pictures had been taken and everyone was ready to go. Salem's heart was beating a mile per minute, she was even more nervous than for her first date with Fred. To be fair there was a whole lot less pressure on her during their first date, tonight however, everyone would be watching.

"Wait, before we go, Salem stand still, please," Hermione quickly snatched her wand of one of the nightstands and pointed it at the train of her dress. "Ne Parvum. It's a spell I once found in a book, apparently a lot of witches in the eighteenth century had problems with their ball gowns being stepped upon and they invented this spell. Your dress will float out of the way when people's out of its own accord, so you can dance without worrying about tripping."