𝕍. ꜰᴀᴄɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏɪᴅ

𝔾race's silhouette appeared from behind the smoke emanating from the ashtray. Tommy blinked a few times, confused.

"You miss her, don't you?" The ghostly voice seemed as sweet as ever. Dizzy and perplexed, Tommy nodded. "Olivia loved you. She still loves you".

"What about you, Grace?" He had to ask, and squeezed the small bottle of laudanum in his right hand. "Do you still love me?"

Grace smiled but didn't utter a word and that silence hurt him as much as a stab in the chest. He coughed when he realized he was drowning in imaginary blood.

"Remember, you can still meet her", Grace said, circling his desk until she was finally at his side and stroked his shoulder fondly. It was a hallucination, he knew, but it felt very real. The voice and the touch were there. "Whenever you want, you can jump the bridge. You can pull the trigger. You can... "Grace took the hand with which he held the laudanum, "drink whatever it takes to sleep forever. You'll sleep, Tommy", the ghost said. "You will sleep well as when you slept with me or Olivia".

<< Please, go away >>, he begged Grace in his mind.

He closed his eyes tightly and clenched his fists. The desperation to get rid of that torment was such that he broke the laudanum bottle into a thousand pieces and the crystalline liquid, mixed with the blood of his wounds, spilled onto Olivia's diary, blurring part of her writing. Between curses, he pushed the notebook away and pushed his chair away from the desk, looked at his palm and saw how small pieces of glass had embedded themselves under his skin.

"You're injured!"

The exclamation surprised him. Grace was gone but now, in front of him, was Olivia. It was the first time since her death that he hallucinated with Olivia. She wore the light pink colored dress he had given her, the patent leather shoes, and a bullet hole in her forehead. He did not know why she dressed like that and why he imagined her with the wound that took her life away. He had never seen her corpse.

"Who did this to you? Who?" Olivia wanted to know. She was shocked and was repeating a dialogue that Tommy knew very well. "I'm going to call the police!"

"Don't call the police", Tommy replied. That same phrase had been said to her a couple of months ago, when she was still alive.

"What...?! Why?!"

"The police can't find out about this. And you know why". Tommy said.

Olivia lost all traces of expression on her face and remained serious. That made him somewhat amused because, the time she had found him wounded in his office, she had been far from indifferent and had continued to insist on calling the police. Her reaction, so opposite to the one she'd had in real life, was further proof that his hallucinations were nothing but bullshit.