Thirteen

There are a few things in life that make Remus happy. For example: the Oxford comma, revolving doors, and really green grass. The little things bring a smile to the usually placid writer's face. However, traveling in a car with his boss does not make the list.

The sleek black car zips out of city and out toward the countryside. Lush hills and stone walls go on for miles as they pass through. Sirius is sitting to his left, dressed like springtime. His trousers are a soft lavender shade, falling fashionably to his ankles, and a short sleeve, white button down covers his upper half.

Remus shifts his weight awkwardly in the seat next over. His trusty backpack resides by his feet packed with his journal, papers from Sirius, and a light snack. Braxton plays a classical music station softly up front to fill the silence.

Remus peers over at Sirius; his mind rakes for a conversation starter of some sort. He can't find it in himself to mention the weather or bring up something about sports - considering he doesn't pay any attention to them at all. Intimidating is an understatement to describe being in the presence of Sirius Black. His mysteriousness and aloofness only adds to the allure. Remus can't help but wonder what Alfred was like. If perhaps the rumors were true and he was more than just Sirius' assistant.

"Are you going to stare at me for the rest of the drive?" Sirius asks, though his head never turns in Remus' direction.

Remus casts a glance downward with a tinge of embarrassment. "Sorry," he murmurs. "So, where is this photoshoot?"

"Right up here."

Sirius gestures out his window and Remus ducks his head further to catch a glimpse of the estate down the road. His face is in awe as the car drives up the long gravel pathway. The building is stone, stretching out the length of at least five houses, with vines of purple wisteria climbing up the sides. Magnificent archways are covered with roses in every shade of pink, and the windows stand like skyscrapers, reflecting the blue sky.

"Good lord," Remus gapes. "This can't be a-a house!" He turns to Sirius who sits with an amused expression. "Where are we?"

Sirius chuckles, removing his seatbelt when Braxton pulls the car around a fountain with four angels spouting water from their trumpets. "This, Remus, is Potter Manor."

Potter? Remus blinks a moment to make sure he heard correctly. "You mean-"

A nod confirms his conclusion. "James' family's estate."

Remus slides out of the car, taking in the air that feels fresher than normal middle class air. The front lawn extends for acres with neatly trimmed grass so green it looks artificial. The gravel crunches underneath his shoes with every step leading up to the grand staircase.

Sirius takes to the steps naturally - as if he's lived here his entire life. Remus follows behind, much slower, taking in everything at once.

"Any day now Lupin!" Sirius calls.

Remus shakes his head, hurrying up the last few steps to catch up. The inside is just as marvelous as the outside, if not more. Once again, Remus' jaw drops to the sparkling floors. The lavish place, though spacious and grand, has a comforting, family-like atmosphere. He follows Sirius through the maze of doors and rooms like a lost puppy until they reach a sitting room. A team from Black Inc. has already set up, and models stroll in and out of different rooms adorned in dresses and whimsical clothes that almost come across like costumes.

Everyone draws to Sirius like bees to honey as soon as he enters the room. Remus falls to the outskirts, though he doesn't mind at all. He takes a lap around the room slowly, noting the extraordinarily tall ceilings and sparkling chandelier. But what really captures his attention, are the photos on the far wall with deep set, built in shelves. Most are of James, he presumes, considering the messy raven hair and glasses on the young boy. The photos range from baby to what looks like the start of university. Around his teenage years, a second boy joins most of the photos as well. Dark wavy hair and piercing gray eyes stare at the camera in moments forever captured in time.