Three

London is quite big. So Remus discovers.

A sleek black car had picked James up from the train and Remus felt out of place. It was without a doubt the nicest car he'd ever been in - and it was only a company car.

James was on the phone a majority of the ride speaking business terms with a colleague. Remus wasn't sure how long of a drive it would take to get to Black Inc., so he pulled out his journal. He dated the top of a new page and scribbled down his thoughts, sticking his ripped train ticket between the pages. He phased out James' conversation, only catching the tail end of it.

"Is he in today?" James asks, darting his eyes from the window to Remus. "Alright I'm almost there. I know you missed me love."

Remus closes his journal, safely tucking it away in his backpack. "So Black Inc. is run by your friend?" he questions when James hangs up the call.

"Yeah, he started this company from the ground up," James replies. There's admiration in his voice and Remus can tell there's a story behind it. There's a story behind everything. "Well come on then."

When the car stops, Remus can only stare upwards until his neck is craning to get a view of the entire building. It was at least ten stories high made to look as if it existed when London was first founded. Double doors made of glass are pulled open by two doormen dressed like models. The floors of the lobby are pure marble so clean Remus was certain he could eat off of them. James is already ten paces ahead waiting for the elevator to come down. Remus nods politely to the men sitting behind the receptionist desk, noticing the matte black B symbol on the front.

"Nice isn't it?" James says as they walk into the glass elevator. Remus can only nod, fascinated with the gold buttons. They light up as the elevator takes them up to the twelfth floor.

The building is flooded with people constantly moving. They are all immaculately dressed from head to toe; not a single person looked like they couldn't grace the cover of Vogue. A few heads turn when James walks in, his presence almost demanding to be noticed. Of course, that meant all eyes were on the poorly dressed bloke following behind him.

"Evans, my love," James calls out boisterously. He opens his arms widely as he approaches the largest desk in the center of the room. Remus peers around James' shoulder to see a beautiful redheaded woman sitting with a cup of tea. "For you, darling." James bows pretentiously, offering her the bouquet. She rolls her eyes while setting down her cup.

So this was the girl James bought flowers for. The love of his life.

She takes the flowers with a gracious smile and in return, hands him a stack of papers. "For you, Potter," she replies.

James scoffs. "The things I do for you. Traveling high and low through the valleys and mountains in the middle of nowhere just to handpick these for you!"

Remus stuffs his hands into his pockets uncomfortably, gazing around the office.

"Who's that?"

James slaps a friendly hand on Remus' shoulder, startling him. "This, my dear, is Remus John Lupin," he introduces. "Remus, this is my wife Lily."

Lily slaps James' arm with a scowl. "I am not your wife Potter." Her face softens when she turns to Remus. "Lily Evans. Nice to meet you."

"You too," Remus replies quietly.

"What're you here for?"

"Well I found him on the train and decided to keep him," James answers with a proud smile. "Think he'll fit in quite nicely, don't you? Get him a new collar and maybe a grooming."

"Potter don't be rude!" Lily scolds.

"No, he really did just meet me on the train," Remus tells her. "I just moved here and -"

"And I told him I'll help him get a job here," James finishes.

"Potter you really think Black will just hire him because you said so?" She casts an apologetic look towards Remus. "I mean, he rarely ever hires new people this high up. If anything you'd start in the mail room or in the lobby."

"Silly Lily." James begins to walk backwards away from her. "I'm James Potter. I can do whatever I want." He opens a door straight ahead and motions for Remus to follow inside.

Remus sets his bags down on the small table near the door. "I-I'd be more than happy to be janitor or mail boy," he suggests nervously. "I don't want you to get in trouble for bringing me here."

James only laughs, tossing his keys and phone onto the expansive desk. Music records and framed magazines covered the walls along with plenty of personal photos - many featuring another bloke their age. The best part of the office was not the inhuman sized yo-yo in the corner, but the view behind the desk. It overlooked London like a postcard.

"Don't be ridiculous," he says with ease. "It might be a bit hard to get a job, or one you actually might enjoy, but you're with me. If anybody else were to bring you, I would question what the hell they were thinking bringing some guy they met on the train here. For all I know you could be a serial murderer on the run."

"I'm not."

James narrows his eyes. "Exactly what a serial murderer on the run would say..." He takes a seat in his chair casually, propping his feet up on the desk. "I like you Remus. I don't quite know why, but there's something there. We just need to fix...that." He motions to all of Remus, who can't help but blush.

James pushes a button on the phone, speaking loudly with a devilish smirk. "Paging Lily Evans," he says. His voice echoes outside over the speakers. Remus turns around, staring at the closed door. "Lily Evans to James Potter's office. Paging one Miss Lillian Evans to the ultra sexy, mega handsome, insanely -"

The door bursts open and Lily strides in with a glare so strong even Remus was afraid. "You rang?" she snaps.

"Lovely of you to join us," James greets with a smirk. "Take a seat, would you?" Lily rolls her eyes, closing the door behind her. She takes a seat in the plush navy chair opposite of James. "I have an emergency." Lily furrows her eyebrows, catching Remus' eye. "A fashion emergency."

Remus averts his eyes to the floor, staring at his outfit. It wasn't bad, per se. But compared to this lot, he looked homeless. Which, technically, he is.

"What do you suppose I should do then?" Lily asks. "You're the one who's getting him a job, no?"

"I am. But I also have my own job which is calling my name. That's why I'm asking you to take Remus shopping so he can get some clothes that Sirius will actually consider hiring him." James reaches into his pocket, pulling out a silver card. "My treat Remus. Go with Lily and buy yourself something nice or two."

Remus' mouth gapes open, and he immediately starts to shake his head. "James that's too much to offer," he babbles. "I can't allow you to - you've already been so kind!"

James holds his hand up, silencing Remus. "I'm sorry, I don't think it was a question."

"I-" Remus can't seem to find the right words. "Is there a loo?"

"Out the door to the left," Lily answers.

When Remus leaves, Lily grabs the card on the desk and runs her thumb over the numbers. "Why are you doing this for him?" she asks. "You don't even know him."

James shrugs. His overzealous persona suddenly diminishes and there's a softness to his demeanor. "Could it ever cross your mind that I'm actually a good person giving somebody who has nothing the opportunity to be something?" Lily stands when the door opens again and Remus walks in, face flushed and his shirt a little wet. James sits up with a wide grin. "Call me if you have any trouble, alright?"

Remus nods, grabbing his backpack. "Thank you James," he says softly. "I really appreciate everything you're doing for me."

James' eyes land on Lily's emerald ones. There's a brief, unspoken acknowledgement.

"I'll have the car ready at the front."