Six

Sirius paces back and forth in his office, listening to the steady click of his heel on the floor. If James wasn't meeting with GQ, he would be getting his ear bit off right now. There was plenty to be doing at the moment - papers to be signed, outfits to be drawn, but all of that was pushed to the side. The only thing on Sirius' mind is Remus Lupin.

Sirius clutches Remus' resume in his hands, going over it for the fourth time. It was impressive, but useless for a fashion company. An English major in journalism? Maybe if he wanted to write an article of Black Inc. for Vogue, then Sirius would consider him.

His office is expansive, much larger than needed for one person. Everything in the room is black - sleek and elegant. Behind him are windows from floor to ceiling. The view is pretty, scanning over the city, but a reminder that life is always moving; there's work to be done and Sirius would see to it. That's how it's always been.

Sirius takes a seat at his desk, submerging himself into his work. His suit coat has been discarded, now hanging off the arm of his couch, and his sleeves are rolled to his elbows casually. The pencil in his hand hovers over blank paper as his mind wanders back to Remus. He was fairly good looking. Sirius rolls his eyes at himself. Then again, so was Alfred. And Alfred went off and slept with  Kennedy. Sirius begins to sketch another coat for his fall line as his mind drifts in and out of focus.

The phone goes off and catches Sirius off guard, causing him to draw a line straight across the paper. He sighs, crumpling up the paper and discarding it in the bin. "Black," he answers irritatedly. "Send him to my office immediately."

Most of the time Sirius liked to keep his office door propped open. He was on the twelfth floor along with most of his highest working employees, though his office was separated. Occasionally he could hear James flirting with Lily Evans or Alice and Mary gossiping instead of doing actual work. The office drama was intriguing and a good distraction when work became too boring.

Remus' figure becomes visible down the hall. He's smiling. It's a nice smile - one that people can't help but compliment when they see it. His hair is a bit of a mess; Sirius suspects he probably uses a three-in-one shampoo, conditioner, and soap. The overall look is...questionable but not tasteless.

"Remus," Sirius greets, snapping out of his thoughts. "Take a seat, will you?" Remus crosses the room and sits on the couch, sinking into the cushion. "I heard about your trip with Marlene. I'm assuming you're on first name basis, considering you stopped for tea and a biscuit."

"Erm...I didn't intend to," he nervously chokes out. "She invited me to stay and since you said she is a very important client I couldn't refuse. She's quite the talker."

"You realize that you could have completely ruined everything I've worked for, correct?" Remus hangs his head with regret. "Luckily for you...Marlene took a liking to you."

Remus' head snaps up with hope in his eyes. "She did?"

Sirius nods. "I don't know what you said to her, but she agreed to sign the deal with Black Inc. we've been trying to get for weeks now."

"I-I just talked to her. Not even about your company!"

Sirius grabs a hefty folder from his desk, plopping it onto the table. "There's only one position available here. I need a new assistant. If you want the job, the contract is right here."

Remus' jaw drops slightly. "Are you serious?" he bites his lip at his choice of words. "I mean - well - are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm joking?"

"No." Remus walks over to the desk, running his fingers over the ivory paper. "What does being assistant mean? Getting you coffee and answering the phone?"