Five

If there was ever a moment Remus felt more like a teenage girl - it was now.

Clothes are strewn across the floor, tags are piled on the table, and last night's left overs are being eaten viciously as Remus paces to and from the bathroom. He tosses the crust of his cold pizza onto the box, wiping his hand on a towel before grabbing a sweater. The alarm clock went off at 6 am to ensure that he wouldn't oversleep. Really he didn't even need it because he barely slept a wink.

Black trousers with a green button down and grey sweater vest. It didn't look right.

Suspenders? No.

Sirius Black needs to be impressed. That was certain.

A cardigan? Too soft.

Remus sets down the cardigan and picks up a faded purple sweater.

"Layers, Remus, layers," he reminds himself.

He takes off his current shirt and slips on a white turtle neck. On top of that goes the purple collared sweater. "How many do I button?" He fumbles with the first two, ultimately deciding to button up all three.

"What goes with purple?" he mumbles as he rummages through the bags. "More purple?"

He grabs the plum colored trousers and holds them against his body. It wasn't atrocious. He slips his legs through and fastens a black belt around his waist.

"Cuff the pants." He rests his foot on the bed, rolling up the bottom of the pants twice. "That's too much ankle." Leaving it at one roll, Remus puts on a new pair of white socks and ties the laces of his black sneakers.

Remus examines himself in the mirror, standing on the ledge of the bathtub to get a full view. A smile tugs at his lips. He hops down, combing his hands through his hair until it sits right.

Sitting down, he pulls out his journal and begins to write. Every morning for 15 minutes he writes. It varies day to day. Sometimes he writes down his dreams, other times he writes what he wants for breakfast.

The time escapes him and soon he's out the door with a dark teal almost green coat in hand and backpack secured.

"Morning," Remus says kindly holding open the door for a passing lady. He walks down the street, reminding himself to be confident. Each step becomes a little lighter and his eyes look forward rather than at his feet. There's no music, but he's walking to the beat of his own rhythm.

At 8:50 on the dot, Remus enters Black Inc.

At 8:55 he's standing at James' door.

"Come in!" James' voice calls.

Remus pushes down on the door handle, striding in.

James is sitting on the edge of his desk with a handful of papers. His eyes scan over Remus, but he makes no comment.

Remus crosses his legs unsure to take the silence as negative or positive. "Good morning," he greets, the confidence from his leisurely walk over suddenly disappearing.

"Indeed it is," James says. "You have the resume?" Remus hands him the piece of paper, watching James give it a once over. Again, his expression never wavers. "Alright set your bag down and follow me."

Without hesitation Remus drops his bag on the chair and shrugs off his coat. He smooths the edges of his sweater twice, suddenly noticing the small wrinkles in his trousers.

"Relax mate," James chuckles. "You'll be alright. Just be yourself."

Be myself, Remus thinks. There was no way in hell Sirius Black would give him, Remus Lupin, a second look. He felt like an imposter.