There's No Way I Can Get Over Her (part 3)

This week couldn't have gone any slower. The cumulation of bad days started to weigh on me and I was relieved the weekend was finally here. I was lying on my bed, eyes closed and breathing calmly for the first time in days. I could sense the sweet vanilla and the gentle rose scent of the candle dancing around the room and gracing every surface with its aroma. Cozy in my warm fluffy pink blanket, I felt at peace, I felt safe. I felt like nothing could harm me. I couldn't remember the last time I felt this calm. I could stay that way forever. I smiled, opened my eyes and, as I did, I felt my phone buzzing snapping me out of my trance. "Subway Boy..." We barely saw each other this week and I missed him like hell! And I couldn't see him even though he lives right in front of my apartment! He was so busy with band rehearsal that we cancelled our tutoring meetings for the week. He couldn't even come to the NewsPaper Club. I knew he was very busy and that the contest was a great opportunity for The Starfighters, but man I didn't go without seeing his beautiful forest green eyes for more than a day in months... I can't even imagine how I managed to live without him for so long- WHAT AM I EVEN THINKING JNDFWBFLWQIFBLRKJNQV UGH! He likes Skyler! Good God Girl Get a Grip and Get over it!

I took a few seconds to regain my composure before looking at the text that was sent a few minutes ago.

"Hey. Are you free for a quick meet up?"

"Hey! Sure! Give me a minute."

I changed into everyday clothes, grabbed my keys and sprinted to the door. I took a deep breath and opened the door. Oliver was already outside.

"Hey what's up?"

"Nothing much. I'm just a bit nervous for tonight and I could use a distraction. Plus, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, which is really weird cause we usually see each other everyday."

WHEN I TELL YOU my heart did a 360 and a 1,2,3,4,5, split, spread eagle, back flip, flip flop,one right after the other in my chest. We definitely got used to each other but I shouldn't get excited hearing his words. He's just checking up on his neighbour, his student, barely his friend and asking for a distraction.

"Wanna go get some fresh air?"

"Let's go", Oliver said, smiling.

The elevator ride was silent. I glanced at him as he looked at the floor numbers changing until we got to the first floor. He noticed me looking at him and I turned my head so fast I could've sworn my neck was going to snap. I heard him chuckle and glanced at him again, my face red with embarrassment.

"I missed you too."

WHY WOULD HE SAY THAT? Be still, my heart. That boy is gonna be the death of me I swear to EGFWEJFNIENG3OQGNL33EJFF@#$%?&! I tried to shake the blush from my face.
"Ready for tonight's show?"

"I am. It still makes me nervous though."

"How come? Haven't you played in front of crowds before?"

"Yes... To be honest it's not really the performance I'm nervous about..."

He looked nervous and pensive, looking at his feet and fidgeting with his shirt's bottom hem. I could hear his breathing speed. I noticed a bench near us, took him by his arm and led him to it.

"Here. Sit down and take a few deep breaths." I guided him through it. "Inhale... Exhale... Inhale... Exhale... You're doing great. Take your time."

I sat next to him as he did the breathing exercises, eyes closed, and I took the time to join him. I could use the relaxation too with how my heart had been acting up recently. After he regained a bit of control over his breath, he opened his eyes, sighed and looked at the sky.

"I'm going to confess tonight to the girl I like."

Hearing these words, this sentence, I almost passed out. He resumed.

"The song we're going to play tonight is basically a confession and I'm afraid of a rejection."

"Why would she reject you?"

"She's... something else. Everything about her is perfect. She can turn the worst day into the best one of my life by simply smiling. That smile could melt the coldest of hearts. The twinkle in her eye when she talks about subjects she's passionate about could captivate any uninterested person. Her kindness makes me want to be a better person. I don't feel like I deserve such a wonderful person, but yet I want to be with her so badly."

I was shaking while he was talking. She sure sounded amazing. But so is he.

"You know, I can't talk for her, but I feel like any girl would be lucky to have you as a boyfriend. Heck I am grateful to only be your friend." As I was talking, I could feel my tears tapping at the corner of my eyes and my voice crack. I looked in front of me, inhaled, trying to get past my sadness and resumed. "You're kind, smart, caring and very good looking. You're passionate and can transmit even the most boring passion to anyone. Have you seen what you did to me with maths?? Can't say I'm passionate, but homework isn't a chore anymore. I'm actually enjoying learning all of that gibberish."

I heard Oliver laugh. I turned to him and smiled. The dimples, the way his eyes shut when he's laughing... He makes me weak! Would it be selfish of me to just tell him how I feel about him? Right before his contest? Where he will be playing and confessing to Sky? Who am I to compete against her? I could feel my heart cracking in my chest, but continued to smile at Oliver.

"Thank you, Sara Lin. I needed that. I'm still nervous, but I'm ready to let my heart out on that stage." He stopped, a little uncertainty on his face. "You're coming tonight... right?"

"Is that even a real question? Of course I am! I want to see you win that competition!"

Oliver laughed, noticeably relieved.

"Can't wait for you to hear what we put together. Alright. I'm going to head to the event in a bit. I'll see you tonight."

I waved at him and stayed on the bench. Of course I was going to the show. He's my friend. But I don't think I can handle him confessing to Sky. Not that I can do anything about it. All I had to do is be supportive. I took a few deep breaths, trying to clear my head from the intrusive thoughts. "It's fine. Everything is fine. As long as he's happy, I'm fine with any outcome. I have no choice anyway..."

(A.N.: Y'all got that Chicago reference? :') Cell Block Tango is honestly my favorite musical number. Anyway. I wish you guys a Happy New Year and I'll see you on the other side of the calendar!)