Ch.6: Skin & Bones

(Don't Own photo)

Edited: 8/16/21

Chapter name change from, "Frozen Embrace" to "Skin & Bones"

~~~~••••~~~~••••~~~~

When your hands grazed against the ice cold door nob you took one last glance at the snowy walkway. Your body trembling with each step you took, hoping not to slip. In one swift motion you had opened the door into the large cabin. Your flashlight moving rapidly around the room hoping nothing would pop from the walls or large objects. Your nerves were calm as you leaned against the door, sliding down it, clicking the flashlight off. You could feel the warmth filling the air around you, although it had taken your injuries awhile to heal, it felt like you had been cooped up within the bunker only a few minutes.

You were here to check on Luigi, whom hadn't checked in. E.Gadd also thought you needed more practice alone, especially after helping Luigi through the Haunted Towers and the Old Clocktower. Your skills had grown, and you proved yourself on your first mission with Luigi, but E.Gadd mentioned many what ifs and you needing to be prepared. You had gotten into combat with only the green ones when you were alone, which was odd since Luigi had all the much more troublesome ones. It's as if someone didn't want you to get hurt.

You stood up glancing around the beautiful cabin, enjoying the simple beauties it held within. The polar bear rug looked soft as silk, and the gentle creak beneath your feet gave it a more homey vibe. Completely forgetting the task at hand, you sat crisscrossed by the fire place. You had no idea how long you sat there but it was comforting. The harsh winds outside had left you nearly turning into an icicle. You honestly had no idea how Luigi had managed being up here for over an hour. You shook your head trying not to think of the Italian man. Although it had calmed your nerves to the point even the whistling wind outside was comforting, setting a calming atmosphere around you. Just as your body began to warm up there was a loud tune that rang from within your pocket.

You were usually well collected but something about this had made your thoughts scrambled, and you couldn't control your body movements.

You jumped nearly a foot high as you stumbled to your feet, quickly pulling out the DS within your pocket. You tried to answer the call, but your hands were shaking from the fear that weld within your chest at the sudden voices coming from the room over. You quickly pushed your body against the wall, barely squeezing yourself between a dresser and the fireplace. You could feel your breath hitch as the door jiggled signaling they had gone through. And just like that, the fireplace went out and with it the warmth in your body.

The voices went silent as they entered the room. The Dual Scream that was once in your hands was now a few feet away, sitting almost perfectly in front of the ghosts. You felt your heart jump realizing it must have fallen out of your hands. Luckily they didn't notice where it had come from, but their translucent figures had briefly shown themselves as red. You felt tears brim at the edge of your (e/c) eyes, fear completely throwing your experience out the window.

You felt your palm gently brace against the wooden dresser, taking one last look at the trio of red figures. In the back of your mind you could already picture your unrealistic death.

What has gotten into you?

You bit your bottom lip and closed your eyes tightly. A tear ran down your cheek as you tried to cover your mouth, a sob nearly escaping as you clenched the flashlight.

You had trained just before you came here too, but was it worth it. Could you really take down these brutes, that even Luigi had a hard time catching? You tried to stop those thoughts, but it was becoming increasingly harder.