Ch.7: Meeting Gooigi

(don't own photo)

(f/i) = favorite insect (y'all are confused asf but so am I.)

~~~~••••~~~~••••~~~~

You were nearly on your knees after begging Luigi to let you grab a quick snack. He was concerned by the medieval concession because the fruit was obviously not for consumption, but he did agree the watermelon looked absolutely delicious. You were nearly drooling at the sight of the freshly cut melon about to take a bite from the dripping fruit, but you were interrupted when trumpets beginning to play loudly throughout the arena. Luigi had nearly jumped a foot high as you both stared straight ahead, watching a ginger breaded ghost taunt you with the very button you were looking for.

"Ich Han youre button, nyce Luigi. Come geten it. Eef enjoy your mete, Litel Oon."¹ You could hear the sass in his voice, as he beckoned you both over.

You were confused, only getting the first bit of his sentence. However you didn't get to ponder on it for very long because Luigi spoke for the both of you. "I don't know what he said, but I'm sure he wants us to take the button from him." You nodded along, gently taking a bit of the melon.

It melted in your mouth, the sweetness overpowered the bitter taste giving it a blessed bitter to sweet ratio. Even as you chewed it was astounding how with one simple bite it had already begun to crumble in your mouth. The seeds were easy to pick out with the wave of delicious melon in your mouth, even though you didn't care much for swallowing them.

After swallowing your first bite you started think back on what the ginger ghost had said, and after a moment of thinking you were feeling suddenly annoyed. "I feel insulted, I'm sure he called me small."

You could hear a lighthearted chuckle from Luigi, as he glanced over at you. You could barely swallow your second bite of watermelon in your mouth. His gaze was playful but it also struck something within you, causing your cheeks heat up. You tried to play it off, hoping he wouldn't notice your red cheeks and how hard it was for you to swallow.

"D-Don't laugh at me. We have better things to worry about than my height." You quickly maneuvered passed him, tossing the last bit of your melon away and heading for the now opened door.

Luigi stayed still for a moment, a concerned looked passed his featured before he cleared his throat. He rubbed the back of his neck, keeping his eyes on the floor as he followed you. "I wasn't laughing at you, I-I was just... never mind. You're right we still have a lot more buttons to get."

You nodded along, feeling the awkwardness setting over you both, but luckily for you it didn't last very long. After walking down the first flight of stairs you had fallen down the second set of stairs. Luigi barely caught you, before you tumbled into spikes that shot out form the floor. You were holding onto Luigi for dear life, after seeing tomatoes impaled from the spikes. You tried to gulp down your sudden fear. If Luigi hadn't been there to catch you, you'd surly be one of those tomatoes.

"T-Thanks, that could've ended very badly." You were nearly sweating from how close you were from being impaled.

Your sudden fall must've caused you to trigger them. There was a long moment you thought, glancing around the small space not finding anything on your side to remove the spikes. However, there looked to be a way to pull them back down on the other side but getting over there was much more of a challenge.

"I don't think we have a way to get around, and I don't think you can pull anything out of those overalls to help. Like maybe a piece of wood to layover it." At this point you were just throwing ideas out, not bothered at how irrational they sounded.