New Hope - Chapter Ten

"Please don't go in there!" Nagito called to Hajime, as Hajime reached for the door handle to Mikan's room.

"Nagito, we have to have faith in her. Hope that she's feeling better than she did back then. Do you not want to believe in her?" Hajime said, using all the tricks in the book.

But this time it didn't work.

"H - Hajime, I know I love hope, and I'll go see her myself if that's what you'd like... but please don't go in there yourself - I don't want you to get hurt."

Hajime paused. "Y - you're not siding with hope...?"

"I... My hope is that you don't get hurt. I know it's selfish of me to try and control what you do - but please at least let me go inside first. It wouldn't be as harmful to society if I died - maybe it'd even be beneficial."

Hajime looked into Nagito's eyes, sighing when he realised how determined he was. Hajime knew Nagito would not change his mind. "Look, you can go ahead of me, but just know this."

While he spoke, he walked solidly towards Nagito, who backed up until he reached the wall. Even though Hajime was shorter than Nagito, he still looked slightly threatening.

"I would care if you died! You better not die - by yourself or someone else's hand, okay? That is my hope. My hope is that you stay alive."

"Ha... Hajime..." Nagito said, face flushed and tears filling his eyes. "Why do you care so much about someone as worthless as I am?"

"Because you're not worthless. To me, you are priceless." Hajime replied, face red. However this time, he wasn't giving into the urge to turn his head away and run back to the isolation of his room - this time he kept eye contact. "Promise me - promise me you'll try to remember this conversation between us. That you're worth something to me."

"I'm... worth something... to you?"

"Yes." Hajime smiled. "To me, you're worth more than the world."

---TimeSkip---

Nagito and Hajime were laying in their bed, in their pyjamas, talking about the day's events. Unfortunately, Ibuki still hasn't left her room, the fact of her killer being in the same area as her, is making her extremely uncomfortable. Nagito had gone to Mikan's room earlier and said to Hajime that she's been unresponsive toward him.

"Maybe I should visit her then?" Hajime asked. When Nagito spun around to him, Hajime raised his hands in the air defensively. "I - I mean that if you went and she did nothing then it should be safe for me to go, right?"

Nagito continued to hold eye contact with Hajime for a few more seconds, before giving in and releasing his hold, turning his head away. "I'm not going to force you to do whatever I want - someone as useless as..." He trailed off when he caught a glance at Hajime glaring at him. "I - I mean it's not right in general for someone to control someone else's actions, you know?" At Hajime's softened glare, Nagito continued. "If you... umm... if you don't mind hanging out with someone like - I mean if you don't mind spending more time with me, I'd like to go with you, just... to make sure you're okay. I know it's selfish, but-"

Hajime cut him off. "Nagito - it's fine! You can come with me to see Mikan tomorrow. For now, let's just get some sleep."

As they both settled down and pulled the covers over them both to go to sleep, Hajime found that he couldn't seem to relax. So many stressful situations had been happening over the last few days and... he's not entirely sure why, but all his anxieties seem to be centred around Nagito and how Nagito feels about him and whether Nagito is safe and happy and...

What's going on with him?

Eventually Nagito's breathing softened and fell into a regular pattern, letting Hajime know that Nagito was asleep.

He looks so peaceful. Hajime thought, remembering him looking similar in the chambers - but this time with no worry over Nagito's safety and no tears.

Nagito worried him. He worried him every day. Hajime had to make sure Nagito builds his self-confidence, but as much as it may not seem like it, Hajime actually does enjoy spending time with Nagito. He gets uncomfortable when other people see them together sure, but that's only because he has this weird feeling whenever he's with Nagito that he likes but doesn't understand. And while he doesn't understand it, he doesn't want anyone else to know about it.

Nagito is getting better though. Hajime smiled, thinking about all the improvements Nagito has been making - especially when regarding his self-esteem. In just one day, from one conversation, Nagito seems to be trying a lot more.

As Hajime smiled, thinking of Nagito, he felt a heavy weight collapse on his hips and stomach, as the bed squeaked with movement. His face flushed as he recognised the weight as Nagito's arm.

"N - Nagito?" Hajime muttered quietly but got nothing besides the regulated breathing of his friend - friend? - as a response. Still asleep...

Not really able to relax any other way, Hajime turned so he was facing Nagito, the arm moving slightly as well, into a more comfortable position for Hajime - now the elbow wasn't digging into his side.

"Hey this is actually kinda... relaxing..." He muttered, suddenly feeling quite tired.

"Goodnight... Nagito..." He muttered as he fell asleep in Nagito's arms, perfectly content and safe from the outside world.

Hi guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Hey, technically tomorrow is Hajime's birthday, haha! It'll also be the start of a new year. I'm just hoping 2021 is better than this year XD

Nagito and Hajime are soooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuute! Yes, I know I'm probably being an annoying fangirl, but I cant help it! I love the ship Komahina so much that I wrote a story that would normally take me several months in less than two weeks. That's how much passion I have for this book.

I just hope you guys share my sentiment/love for these guys too, haha!

See you guys again tomorrow!

But for now...

Peachy out! 😊