New Hope - Chapter Fourteen

"Mikan... please... come back over here." Hajime called out to her.

How did it come to this?

A few hours after they had their chicken sandwiches, Fuyuhiko had ran up to them and asked if they'd seen Mikan - who had gone missing. After searching for a while, Hajime made a spontaneous decision to go to the rooftop...

... and there she was.

Knife on the floor, her arms covered in self-mutilation.

Her foot one step away from falling off the roof.

"M... Mikan?"

"Izu - Hajime..."

Hajime ignored the massive urge to flinch and turn away - afraid to take his eyes off the girl standing before him to do anything.

"Mikan please... please come back over here."

"Why should I?" She said coldly.

"W - Why? I mean... well... why do you want to die at all?"

Mikan paused, unsure whether to speak. "I... I'm obviously not forgiven by you all, and my beloved one is dead. She... she betrayed me. She died without forgiving me. She never saved me. She... she never cared about me. What..."

She looked up at Hajime, tears - pure despair ridden tears, not fake ones - trickled down her cheeks. "What am I supposed to do with my life now? How can I live if she isn't in my life?"

"I... I can't say I'll ever understand what you feel..." Hajime said, praying that he speaks the correct words. Without either Hajime or Mikan realising, Nagito entered the rooftop and saw them by the edge. As much as he wanted to haul Hajime away from her - Nagito doubted that Hajime would appreciate that.

Instead he sent a text (Byakuya used his money to buy them all phones and would cover the cost of their bills before he left) to everyone else - in particular Akane, Fuyuhiko and Kazuichi, who were the strongest people who are currently moving, that could stand a chance of catching Mikan if she fell and kept an eye on what's going on - prepared to intervene if Hajime appeared to be in danger.

"I don't think I'd ever be able to understand your pain... I don't think I'd ever want to... but would Junko actually want you to die?"

"Yes!"

"Well then, she doesn't sound like your 'beloved' then, does she?"

"... huh?"

"Your 'beloved' apparently forgave you for you existence and accepted you as you are. If they were that caring towards you - why would they want you to die?"

"I... I..."

"Because they were never your 'beloved' in the first place!"

"What...?"

"Mikan, please." Hajime extended his hand towards her. "I'm not Izuru, but I am someone who cares about you. I don't want anyone to die here. This is supposed to be our freedom, not extra entrapment. Please. I have hope in you - hope that you value our love in you, and hope that you realise the horrific control Junko had on you, and belief that you're willing to try again, be nicer, and trust in us."

Woah... Nagito thought, watching Hajime give his speech to Mikan. He's amazing... so full of hope, even as Izuru Kamekura...

For the first time since she reappeared, Mikan seemed vulnerable and open. "What... what if everyone still hates me?"

"You won't know that until you try - and you'll always have me, Mikan." Hajime replied, hand still outstretched. With shaky arms, Mikan took Hajime's hand and he pulled her away from the edge, and into his arms.

"Ha... Hajime..." Mikan whispered, arms around Hajime's waist.

"M - Mikan? What are you-"

"Okay, that's enough." Nagito jumped between them, once again saving Hajime from a situation he didn't want to be in.

"Nagito..." Hajime muttered, tightly holding his hand.

"I'm glad you're okay Mikan, really I am, but you need to get some rest in your room - not in Hajime's arms." Nagito swiftly spoke, before Mikan could try any more manipulation. "I'd be happy to escort you there?" The glint in his eye was enough for Mikan to politely decline and stumble her way down the steps to her room.

Once she was gone, Hajime found himself being fiercely hugged by Nagito.

"Nagito...? Wha-"

"I was so worried! I was worried this was some sort of manipulation and then I realised it wasn't and was scared that if you failed - which I knew you wouldn't fail but still - you'd be full of despair and-"

"Nagito!" Hajime shouted, wrapping his arms across Nagito's back, returning the hug. "It's alright, see? I'm fine."

Nagito released his grip on Hajime, and grabbed Hajime's hands instead, pulling Hajime down with him to sit on the roof together, watching the sun begin to set.

"Hajime... I wanted to talk to you."

Hajime's face flushed. "Y - Yeah? About... about what?"

"About... Izuru Kamekura."

Hajime didn't flinch, but his eyes looked duller than they did when he was being hugged. "Oh... I understand if you hate me now, I know he - I - didn't used to be a good person..."

"What? No! I wanted to tell you the exact opposite, actually." Nagito was quick to rebuttal Hajime's claim. "Just now - with Mikan - you shone with so much hope..." He trailed off.

"Is... is that why you want to spend time with me? Just... just for my hope?" Hajime asked, honestly afraid to know the answer.

Nagito paused, deep in thought. "... No." When Hajime looked up, happy but also confused, Nagito continued. "Not just that, anyway. Spending time with you... makes me feel really happy. As long as you're happy too then I honestly think I'd enjoy doing anything with you... especially since I don't have much time left anyway."

Hajime froze. Nagito's words caused him to forget how to breathe. Something itched at the back of his mind, something important that he had forgotten about... How could something so terrifying appear so suddenly out of nowhere?

Afraid to ask, his words left his lips so silently Nagito could barely hear the question. "Nagito... what do you mean?"

Nagito smiled sadly, and shakily breathed in and out, turning to Hajime.

"Did you forget Hajime? I'm dying."

Hi guys! New chapter is out.

I know it's kinda sudden with Nagito and his illness, but I really needed it to suddenly come up and well... it ended up seeming quite sudden. Sorry about that...

I hope you're all enjoying the story so far! It's not even halfway done yet! Your support means a lot to me, thank you all for enjoying it, voting on my chapters, leaving me sweet comments. You guys are the best.

See you guys again tomorrow!

But for now...

Peachy out! 😊