I. Breaking News

A/N: This was a headcanon of mine that I had to start writing. I don't even know how I want it to continue, let alone end, which is why the description is so vague. But I love the idea and the beginning chapters, so if you find my idea interesting too, please comment for what you want to happen! The disclaimers in description apply to the entire story. Without further ado, let the story begin!

1017 words

The Olympian Council was having their mandated "family time". After Percy Jackson wished for Hestia and Hades to retain their thrones on Olympus, Hestia had enforced a few rules upon the council.

No one really wanted to be there. The council mostly kept to themselves. But they would never cross Hestia. If she said she wanted them to lounge around the Hall of the Gods together for two hours every Wednesday, they were going to do it. A lot of them took this opportunity to check in on their kids—to watch over them and brag to the other Olympians how much better their children were.

"For the last time, Ares, my children won that game of capture the flag 'fair and square,' as the mortals say," said Athena.

"No!" Ares barked out.

"Your vapid vocabulary is insulting," Athena scoffed.

Ares ignored her remark because he didn't know what "vapid" meant.

"Your children are cheaters! Their battle strategy was to cheat!" he accused.

"Watch your words, Knucklehead!"

"Make me, Birdbrain!"

"Why you little-"

"Poseidon!" Hermes interrupted.

Athena and Ares stopped arguing to hear what the messager had to say. Although Poseidon acted laidback these days, he was still remembered as the unpredictable, ill-tempered, moody, and greedy Olympian god. He was known to be vengeful when insulted, so no one, besides his brothers and Hestia, maybe Demeter, would dare cross him. In this case, no one would dare prevent him from hearing a message from Hermes. It wasn't even centuries ago that their children would find an unforgiving ocean if they angered Poseidon. He hasn't taken his frustrations out on the demigods of late, especially after he claimed Percy, but that's not to say he wouldn't revert to his old habits. Habits die hard. Habits that have lasted eons die harder.

"What is it, nephew?"

"Uh... How is Percy doing?"

Poseidon got a sad look in his eye. So did Athena.

"Still grieving her loss, I'm afraid. It's only been... three days since the empousai attack."

"Do you know... if he plans on returning to his mother's place?"

"Yes. He should be heading out tomorrow afternoon. He told me he wanted to be with his family."

"Um... that- those plans might want to be changed," said Hermes with a solemn tone and worried expression.

"What do you mean by that? Should he not be comforted by family in his pain?! He just lost the one he loved!"

"Well..."

"Speak herald! What news do you bring?!"

Ignoring the slip into old fashioned speech, Hermes turned his tablet to face Poseidon to show the front cover of the New York Times.

Apartment Complex Burned to Ruins

Most families were able to escape this disastrous catastrophe, but a few were not so fortunate. The untimely gas pipe explosion set off a chain reaction and destroyed the entire building. Firemen are still recovering bodies from the rubble, but they presume those who resided in the Jackson-Blofis residence are dead as the freak accident originated in their apartment.

A report from the Chief Fireman just came in: "No one could live with the injuries one would sustain in a gas explosion so close in proximity. We might not even find their bodies, but we will continue to search the ruin for Sally, Paul, and Estelle Blofis as well as their son Percy Jackson."

More reports will be updated as information is relayed to us. Stay tuned.

Silence filled the hall. No one moved a muscle. They all held their breath. Poseidon looked ready to explode.

Hestia calmly went over to her brother and rested a hand on his white knuckles. She seeped comfort and hope into him to prevent an outburst. The last time Olympus was flooded, her hearths were affected the most.

"Breathe, brother. Your son is still alive. He is safe and well at Camp Half-Blood. Do not fret so much."

"'Do not fret'?! Sister, I still care for Sally. She was his mother. She was a queen among mortals. How can I not fret?!"

"Hush now. That's not what I said. You know this. I'm asking you to calm down so you don't cause the sea to rage. Your son will know something is wrong if he sees this."

That got Poseidon to calm down significantly. Once there was no longer a threat of Poseidon losing his cool, Athena spoke up.

"Uncle, it would be wise to break the news to him here. He would not want to see his mother or stepfather or baby sister in any such state."

Zeus too was full of sorrow, but he still didn't want to concern himself or the council with what he considered to be petty mortal affairs. Unless, of course, he was having an affair with a petty mortal.

"No, daughter. There is no reason why the council must 'break the news', as you say, to the boy. Chiron can inform him."

Poseidon was about to argue in favor of seeing his son, but it was Hades who interjected first.

"Brother, this could be the opportunity you wanted. I do not accuse you of being cynical, but I know you wish for the boy to be made a god. He has no ties besides friends in the mortal world now. If we show him our compassion as a family, he may be more inclined to accept immortality."

"That's low, is it not? To play with his emotions like that," Aphrodite pointed out. She was heartbroken over his heartbreak. As the one to first ship Percabeth, it hurt her very being to have a couple of pure love broken apart by death. She became quite defensive because of it.

"Perhaps," said Hera, "but think, Poseidon. If he accepts, he will be with you as a true Prince of the Seas forever. He can never lose family if he becomes one of us."

Another half-hour of discussion went by before a decision was made. Hermes sent a note to Chiron asking for Percy to be brought to Olympus. The council sat in anticipation for the arrival of the hero.