X. Waiting Impatiently

A/N: Thank you to those who've read this and enjoyed it.

850 words

As if the place couldn't get more amazing, it was time for dinner. They had magical plates! And magical cups! And magical creatures dining with them! Who knew satyrs and dryads were real?! Well, the demigods did, of course, but Estelle still thought it was crazy. And yet, for as amazing as it was, it was also very, very awkward.

People kept staring and pointing at Estelle only to quickly look away when she noticed them. One guy even tried hitting on her!

"So," said the Aphrodite boy, "you available?"

"Not for you," she replied smoothly.

"Come on. Don't be like that, Stell," he said, trying to win her over. He was failing miserably.

Estelle hated nicknames. Her name was one of the few things her parents gave her. They wanted her name to be Estelle. And to Tartarus if anyone was going to take it away or change it. Maybe she was a little too defensive about the topic, but Estelle didn't care. She loved her name and it would remain in its entirety.

"Don't call me Stell or Stella or Ella or Este or anything but Estelle," she snapped.

The Aphrodite boy was pulled away by his sisters who shot her an apologetic look. Estelle heard them whisper to him, "Don't be an idiot. You don't want Percy to find out you tried to hit on his little sister, do you?"

Estelle also noticed said boy paled slightly and shook his head before sitting back down to dinner. She smiled hoping his reaction meant Percy would be the overprotective brother she imagined he was.

The dinner was excellent. She drank her favorite shake and ate a large cheeseburger with thin, crispy fries. When everyone finished, the whole group got up and went to roast marshmallows for s'mores and sang really weird campfire songs. It wasn't before long that everyone headed to bed. Estelle was given a room in the Big House, but sleep was not going to be easy with the excited nervousness she felt.

Estelle was pacing the room thinking about her brother. She went through all the things she wanted to tell him and ask him and do with him. She looked through her photo album for all the pictures with him holding her and smiling at her. She had wanted to see that smile in person for so long, it was hard to believe she might sometime tomorrow. It wasn't until after reading through his letter close to fifty times, though, that she finally drifted off to sleep.

Estelle dreamed of fluffy bunnies and failing her exams and joining the circus. Unbeknownst to her, these types of dreams were the types of dreams everyone at camp longed for because she was mortal and did not suffer demigod dreams. She remembered little of what she dreamed of when she woke up—something else to make the demigods jealous—but it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. All that mattered was that she would soon meet her brother.

A loud knock on the door woke Estelle up. It was followed by the excited voice of her best friend.

"Get up! Get up! Today's the day!" Claire yelled from just outside.

It only took a second for Estelle to jump out of bed before she threw on the change of clothes—a camp t-shirt and jeans—she was provided, brushed her teeth and hair and all that, laced up her sneakers, and flew out the door towards the pavilion with Claire by her side.

They saw Nico sitting with a tanned, blond-haired man who they assumed to be Will, his husband. The two waved the girls over to which they obliged.

"Morning!" Will greeted.

"Morning," Claire and Estelle greeted back.

Nico smiled, something he does primarily in the presence of Will. "You excited, Estelle?"

"Gods yes! I have a million questions! When is he coming?!"

Will started laughing. "Wow, you're just as spirited as he is."

"I am?" Estelle asked, wanting to know more.

"Yeah," Nico confirmed, "and he won't be here until after lunch. Chiron said there's a meeting on Olympus this morning and Percy's supposed to be there. They usually last a long while so there's no telling exactly when, but he'll definitely be here today."

"Can you tell me more about him? Please?"

Nico looked to Will who nodded encouragingly. Nico sighed in resignation. He would be there for a while.

"Let's get some breakfast and then I'll tell you about the first time we met."

Claire was just as excited to learn something new. The detailed shrine didn't include personal anecdotes, so she was intrigued as to how others viewed the god of strength, Estelle's brother.

After many stories and personal accounts from Nico and Will, the four of them departed for activities. Estelle tried canoeing, but her mind wasn't in it. She desperately wanted time to speed up to after lunch. Not fast enough for her, that time came.