IV. New Roles

1649 words

Percy went straight to the Big House after Argus dropped him off. He needed to tell Chiron of the events that transpired on Olympus. He needed to tell Chiron he was now a god. Oh gods.

"Chiron," Percy greeted.

To Percy's surprise, Chiron inclined his head towards him. "Lord Perseus. Condolences and congratulations are in order. I'm sorry for not telling you the news myself."

Percy figured Chiron could sense the difference and knew he accepted godhood because of his aura or smell or whatever.

"Please don't apologize. And please don't bow. And just call me Percy. Seriously, Chiron, you of all people don't need to do any of that stuff."

"Ah, but I do. I want to. You have earned the respect and I'm proud of you. Plus, you'll have to get used to it. From what I hear, you're soon to be a prince. You'll see a lot more bowing and be called 'Lord' a lot more too."

Percy sighed. "Great. As if the fish weren't enough."

Both Percy and Chiron laughed. They talked for a while longer before Percy went out to see his friends. He spotted them all playing volleyball. Will, Nico, Jason, and Piper were on one side. Leo, Calypso, Travis, and Connor were on the other side.

When the ball flew out of bounds right towards him, Percy caught it with a bright smile. His friends smiled right back.

"Percy! Wanna play? Leo sucks at volleyball, so you can be on our team," Travis said.

"Just because I accidentally set one volleyball on fire does not mean I suck at it."

"That's exactly what it means," Connor argued.

Everyone laughed when Leo pouted and set his hair on fire. Calypso kissed his cheek which cheered Leo up instantly. This caused even more laughter to ensue.

"Sounds like fun, but..." they all turned to face Percy. The carefree smile they hadn't seen on his face in days quickly vanished. "Can we talk?"

They all nodded and walked off towards cabin 3. Poseidon was the least likely of the gods to smite them for entering his cabin. They sat down on the bed or floor with Percy positioned in between Leo and Nico.

"I have a few things to tell you," Percy started with a shaky voice. "Paul and Mom and-," his voice caught, "Estelle... they- they-" Percy let his emotions flow with a few tears making their way down his face. "They all died in a gas explosion."

Nico and Leo knew all too well what it was like losing the only family you had. They moved in to comfort their friend. Nico had a loose tear. He saw Sally as a mother figure and felt the loss of family too. They stayed that way in mourning for close to a half hour before Percy said another word.

"Thanks, guys. But there's something else I have to tell you."

His friends braced themselves for more bad news. Their hearts broke for the man they all looked up to.

"The gods... they- uh- made me one of them."

Slow blinking. That was their response. Jason was the first to break the silence.

"You're a god?"

Percy nodded, eyes downcast. In what, he didn't know. Regret? Guilt? Resignation?

"You accepted the offer this time?" Nico stated more than asked.

Percy nodded again, gaze still on the floor.

"Wait, again?" Piper questioned. Actually, everyone besides Nico looked confused.

Nico explained for Percy, "Percy didn't tell you because he's too modest, but after the first war, the gods offered him any gift he wanted. Zeus assumed he would want to be a god and offered it to him. That deal he made about the gods recognizing their children by the time they turned thirteen and those other requests were what he actually wished for, much to Zeus's displeasure. He wanted to help everyone else instead of becoming immortal."