III. The Letter

1128 words

She was heading back to the house after school. Not her house. Certainly not her home. No, she was heading back to the house of her group foster family. If one could call a group of orphans who lived with a couple that only cared about money 'family'.

She was with four other girls and one seven-year-old boy. As a freshman in high school, she was in the highest grade out of the six, but as she was only thirteen years old, she was one of the youngest in her class. Living on her own—in the sense that she had no one to depend on—but also living with many—in the sense that she had many who depended on her—she was far more mature than people thought.

"Estelle!" her friend called after her. "Estelle! Wait up!"

Estelle Blofis waited for her friend, Claire Johnson, to catch up. She had straight blond hair and stunning gray eyes set into sharp features. This was the only person she ever told her full backstory to. How her parents and brother died in a gas explosion while she was at a daycare. How she went through orphanages and foster homes and, consequently, schools like she went through candy—fast. Until she got to high school, that is.

She wanted to be able to stand on her own two feet, so she promised herself to stay out of trouble and do her work and get good grades and make her parents and big brother proud. One of the only things she had of them was a small photo album that her mother had packed in a care bag for the daycare. It was a cherished possession. It had lots of labeled photos that she adored, but the thing she loved most was a letter in the back. It was written to her by the brother she never met. She didn't understand how she could miss people she couldn't remember. But she missed them every day. The letter read:

Dear Estelle Blofis,

I'm not sure when you'll read this, but I wanted you to have something to remind you of me. I live a hard life—sometimes a dangerous one. Because of this, I might not be around a lot. I just want to protect you and Mom and Paul. You're my little sister, and I love you with all my heart. Please don't ever forget that, even if I'm not around much.
I'm sorry if that is the case, but you can always come back to this letter to know I love you. It will always be true. I'll be proud of everything you do, so just be yourself.
In this letter, there is a coin. It is a very special coin that should never be given away. One day you may need to use it. It will be obvious when that day comes. Until then, I give it to you for safekeeping.

With Lots of Love,
Your Big Brother
Percy Jackson

Such simple words were ones she could never read enough. When she was younger, Estelle read the letter every night. She didn't read it nearly as often anymore, but that was partly because she had it memorized. She believed in those words above all else; however, she couldn't see how her brother would be proud of her. That's why she was so determined not to mess things up this time around.

"Hey, Claire! I thought you had tennis practice?"

"It got moved to tomorrow. Coach said he couldn't miss his wife's birthday. Had to buy flowers and stuff."

"I did not peg Coach Hedge as one to care about buying flowers. He's always yelling through his megaphone and hazardously swinging around a club. I mean, I don't have him for gym, but I've seen him around."

Claire laughed at the very accurate description. "Can't argue with that, but don't you mean a baseball bat? Whatever, in any case, he seems to really care about his wife. He has a son too you know!"

Choosing to ignore the comment about the obvious club being a baseball bat, Estelle exclaimed a little over dramatically, "No way!"

Estelle was used to people saying weird things. Like how a few homeless kids had two eyes instead of one. Or when she saw teenagers running around with actual swords, but everyone pointed out how weird their cosplay was with plastic props. She just assumed everyone saw the world differently because no two people saw the exact same thing. She couldn't explain it, but her explanation kept her from thinking she'd gone insane.

"I'm serious! 'Little Chuck' he calls him. Anyway, I heard a certain someone complimenting your eyes earlier today."

"Who?!"

"Steve Brennen! As in super hot sophomore swimmer Steve Brennen! As in the guy you've had a crush on since the beginning of first semester Steve Brennen!"

"Oh, come on. Don't joke like that."

"I'm not! I swear! He said, 'I know. Sea-green eyes. Pretty cool. And pretty.' He was talking to his friend Tom from English." Claire's impersonation was horrible and sent the two into a fit of giggles.

"He really said that?" Estelle had to ask. She was still skeptical anyone would compliment her like that. Even more so if the compliment supposedly came from "super hot sophomore swimmer Steve Brennen".

"Yes! Isn't this great!"

"I don't know. I mean it could've meant nothing."

Claire rolled her eyes at that. "Whatever. You'll see. I'm right about this. Anywho, how did you get sea-green eyes? You've never told me, and I've never seen someone else with those colored eyes before."

"Not sure. I think it's a rare recessive trait. My brother had the same colored eyes as me. Dad probably gave me the hair. His was also salt and pepper looking."

"Well, however you got them, Steve likes them. I wish I could get a guy to like me. But I'm so young, they don't even look at me."

"You're almost thirteen. Just a few more days. Then you'll be the same age as me. There's really not that much of a difference. Besides, it's cool that you skipped a grade. You're way too smart to still be in middle school. You could be a sophomore if you really wanted to!"

"Thanks, Estelle. I appreciate you saying that."

"No problem. What are friends for?"

"Considering I'm going to your place to help you study for our last day of finals tomorrow, I'd say that."

The two laughed and made small talk the rest of the way to the house. They were both so caught up in their conversation that neither of them realized they were being watched from the shadows and followed by something else more sinister.