VIII. Same Boss, New Job

1286 words

"You misunderstand me, Siliat, though it's my fault for being over dramatic. I couldn't help myself. I'm not asking you to be my servant. I'm asking you to be one of my advisors."

"Your- your advisor?"

Siliat searched Percy's face for insincerity but found none.

"Yes. I'm putting together a task force. This team will advise me on many matters of government. I'd like you to advise me on how to fix the problems our farmers face. The problems you were very passionate about." A small smirk played on Percy's otherwise neutral smile.

"You're not going to... punish me?"

"No? Why should I?"

"Because I yelled at you. I was disrespectful. I used you!"

"You were ambitious, sure. But you were brave enough to try. That's commendable at least. And I don't want advisors who'll tell me what I want to hear. A 'yes man' as humans say. I want advisors who will show me my wrongs and hold me accountable. I want advisors who aren't afraid to work towards a goal others think is pointless. I want advisors who have just as much passion for improving this kingdom as I do. I want you as my advisor."

Speechless. Siliat was speechless. Percy had given him the opportunity of a lifetime—to make real change. To help his family in more ways than sending money. Siliat was eager to accept.

"Yes. I want that too. Gods yes! Thank you!"

Percy shot him a genuine smile and released him from his bonds.

"Sorry for the whole interrogation thing. I had to make sure your words were sincere. No hard feelings?"

"None at all, my Lord," Siliat beamed.

Percy beamed right back. "Call me Percy, Counselor Siliat."

~~~

They both swam out of the makeshift interrogation room to Percy's office and ardently discussed reforms in policy and procedure. They worked well together over the years and Siliat soon became Percy's Chief Advisor who oversaw the entire task force.

This was the beginning of the charitable work and political prestige that made Percy known as the "Speaker for the Ocean". Only prosperity came under his management. Percy helped Poseidon, Amphitrite, and Triton rule the seas justly and with mercy.

Many Winter and Summer Solstices passed. Percy grew into his roles as a god, as a prince, and as an advisor. He could change his age and appearance but could only do ages that he had naturally lived. So while Percy could remain looking like an 18-year-old, he couldn't appear as a 50-year-old man. The most he was up to in his mortal turned immortal life was 30 years, almost 31.

Percy wasn't in denial about his immortality. He switched ages for many occasions, but he wanted to feel like he was growing older as he grew wiser. So unless the situation called for Percy to revert into the body of his formative years, he took on the oldest form he could—the one he'd be if he were still mortal.

Percy visited Annabeth in the Isle of the Blessed often at first, but she stubbornly told him to get a life. She claimed she had more of a life dead than he did as a god. The first time Percy took comfort in another woman, he felt extreme guilt. But Annabeth helped him overcome this and move on from her. He courted a few immortal beings and even a couple of mortals, but he never sired any children. Despite being 30 and wanting a family, Percy wasn't ready. He didn't want his child to face the dangers he did and he didn't want to inevitably lose his child either. Thus why adoption wasn't any more of an option than siring a child himself. Plus, he wasn't one to have many lovers. The idea didn't suit him. He'd rather be faithful to one person and if he were to have a child, he wanted it to be with the woman he married. But once he married, it would be for eternity. Percy wasn't so sure he was ready for that.

Percy had long chats with Annabeth and his friends and other gods about this topic. No one could give him an adequate answer because there was no solution. There were only choices and outcomes of each.

~~~

Further reflection on family would bring him to a happy memory. The memory of Estelle being born. The rush to the hospital, the screaming from labor, the soft crying coming from Estelle, exposed to the world. Percy instantly wanted to shield her from the dangers of this world. The protectiveness he felt was almost painful.

But the day was a good one. He got a baby sister! He adored her chubby cheeks and kind eyes. He prayed to the gods to protect her from his world. To let her live a normal, mortal life. This is why he was against Poseidon's idea at first.

Poseidon had visited the child a month after she was born. He made an offer to bless her with a sliver of Percy's own aura. He assured them the demigod scent would not carry over but explained that the blessing made sure that any monster she may accidentally come across would run away. Poseidon elaborated that the reason they would not attack was because few monsters were brave enough to attack Percy head-on anymore. A little bit of his aura surrounding her mortal scent would confuse any immortal or frighten any monster enough that she would be protected from anything relating to the godly world.

Percy didn't want to agree, but knowing Estelle would most likely be clear sighted, he saw the benefit of extra protection. Admittedly, it made Percy feel better that a part of him could protect her when he couldn't be there. But in the end, it was Sally and Paul's decision. In other words, it was Sally's decision and Sally agreed. After Poseidon transferred part of Percy's aura to her, Estelle's blue eyes became a soft sea-green. This made Percy happier about his mom's choice. He didn't share many phenotypic traits with Estelle, so the eye color served as a physical representation of their sibling bond.

When Estelle was about four months old, he wrote a letter to her. He was worried she would think he didn't love her if he was away for too long. To ease these potential fears, he spent hours carefully writing a short letter. It took that long because his dyslexia was a major hindrance and his handwriting kinda sucked too. Inside the letter, he gifted her with a golden drachma. The special drachma with Poseidon's trident stamped on one side. Percy didn't know what made the coin so special, but his father said it held the power of the sea and should only be used for an important payment. Percy figured it would be a good thing for Estelle to hold on to. Something besides a letter she could remember him by. Now he wished he kept that coin. Maybe the payment could have saved her life.

~~~

Unbeknownst to Percy, it did save Estelle's life. Not dying in the fire was due to the Fate's actions, but the quality of someone's life can be saved by simple mortal actions. Unbeknownst to Percy, Estelle's less fortunate life full of sorrow could be taken away if she used the coin. Unbeknownst to Percy, he'd soon get the chance to have a family once more. A chance he would have thought impossible. A chance he would have smote someone for suggesting because it was one of his deepest desires. A chance he would trade anything to have. A chance he got one afternoon when visiting Camp Half-Blood.