Chapter Thirty

••••• Adrien's POV •••••
  ____Eight months ago_____

    Chat Noir hated the fact that he had no one to blame. Growing up he had a lot of options to blame his problems on. The only time he used those options was for his physiological warfare. His grades were great, he had amazing friends, and an even better girlfriend. He was a superhero, what could he say. A traumatic past came with the job. But now, it wasn’t so easy.

     The blonde sighed, a large puff of condensation formed before him. The temperature steadily began to drop with every passing night. The process of fall bleeding into winter was not a joyful process to hang outdoors during. In short, he was shaking in his boots. But he could care less. 

    Chat Noir could only stare sadly at the night sky. His head pounded. Maybe pounded was too light of a word. It felt like an electric drill was being forced through his temple and to the other side. He winced as a car honked rather loudly from the streets below. 

  The moon barely peeked out from behind the clouds. His hair seemed white from what little moonlight managed to find its way to the blonde locks.

     His eyes swelled with tears for what felt like the twentieth time today. It wasn’t fair, God damn it! It wasn’t fair that he was Chat Noir. It wasn’t fair his mother died. It wasn’t fair that his father was an emotionless prick. Those were the type of things he could blame on his father, or cancer, or even the world. But this? Who was he supposed to blame?

    Rage built up in the pit of his stomach, it flared angrily as he grit his teeth. But the flame was extinguished with grief as quickly as it appeared. It was some stupid, stupid luck of the universe that this had happened.

   In some twisted way, Adrien figured he deserved it. Something he did in a past life or some bullshit thing he said to his father may have caused the universe to give him some bad karma.

      In no universe did Marinette deserve it. The tears started to slip down his cheeks and he fought back a cry. Had it been something he did? Why did the pain have to affect more than just him? Marinette, her parents, Nino, Alya, their newborn baby didn’t deserve to be deprived of the joy they were supposed to have. 

   He stood up, eyes blurry. His lips trembled as he allowed auto-pilot to kick in and lead him to the park.

   His feet hit the pavement and he walked through the entrance. He balled his fists as he looked at the assembly of trees.

   “Cataclysm.” He managed. The black essence pulled towards the center of his hand. He walked to a tree and pressed his palm flat against the harsh bark. It crumbled beneath his hand.

    Finally, Chat stopped holding back his cries. He screamed and punched a tree. He kept doing so, even after his miraculous beeped. In a flash of green, Adrien Agreste was left in place, bruising his knuckles.

   “Adrien.” The word barely penetrated his hearing. Plagg scowled as he watched Adrien cry his heart out. 

    “Adrien?” 

   Plagg was quick to hide when a new voice pierced the air. Adrien stopped and looked up to see a blob that greatly resembled Nino.

   “Dude, what are you doing?” Nino questioned, stepping close as he tried to make out details under the shadow of the tree.

   “Just leave.” Adrien tried to sound stern. Like the man Gabriel tried to raise him to be. But his voice came out in a croak.

     Nino got closer and firmly gripped Adrien’s shoulders. He looked into glassy green eyes before pulling the blonde into a hug. Adrien couldn’t find a will in him to pull away. He gripped the back of Nino’s jacket and cried.