Chapter Ten

Marinette furrowed her brow in concentration as she carefully picked up Chico. She sat him on the fresh diaper and tightened it around his waist. She picked up the baby and held him to her chest as she made her way to the kitchen.

"Thanks, girl. I hated that I had to ask you to do that" Alya sighed, whisking the brownie mix.

"It's no problem Al, really" Marinette smiled as she gently rested Chico in the high chair and strapped him in.

"Momma?" A little voice asked.

The two adults looked down to see Ariana hugging her blanket tightly to her chest and rubbing her eyes.

Turning to her friend, Marinette took the bowl from Alya. The brunette bent down so she was eye level with her daughter.

"What is it, sweetheart? Why aren't you in bed napping?"

Ariana's bottom lip trembled as she clenched her blanket harder.

"My tummy hurts" Ariana cried, stepped forward to be closer to her mother. Alya pressed her hand to her forehead.

"Honey, you're burning up." Alya scowled as Ariana went in for a hug.

Marinette rested the bowl on the counter and searched through the cabinets before pulling out some crackers. She retrieved a sprite from the fridge and crouched down next to the two.

"I can take care of her" Marinette assured opening her arms.

Alya looked down at her daughter and stroked her forehead.

"Will you go with Auntie Mari? She's going to take care of you, okay?"

Ariana looked at Marinette for a few minutes before slowly nodding and let go of Alya to clutch onto the blunette.

Marinette just barely managed to pick up the little girl with the things she had in her hands. Ariana rested her head on the bluenette's chest.

"Thank you, Marinette. I'll be in with the thermometer and kids ibuprofen." Alya said from the doorway.

Marinette rested Ariana on the bed and tucked the covers around her.

"Where does it hurt?" She asked softly, picking up the crackers. "Your stomach?" Ariana nodded. "Your throat?" Nothing. "Your head?" Another nod.

"I'm going to give you these crackers, okay? Try to keep them down so we can give you medicine to make you feel better. Alright?"

The little girl took the crackers and began to munch on them slowly. Marinette unscrewed the cap off the sprite bottle and offered it to Ariana.

Alya came back in with several things in her arms. She sat next to Marinette and passed a few things to her.

"Open your mouth, sweetheart. We have to put this under your tongue before you can take medicine, okay?"

As they all waited for the thermometer to beep, Alya turned to Marinette.

"You can leave if you want. I'm sure what she has isn't a big deal, but if you don't want to get sick" Alya told her friend, stroking Ariana's forehead.

Marinette watched and felt her heart sink slightly. Swallowing against the lump in her throat, she forced a smile. She loved Chico and Ariana like they were her actual niece and nephew.

"I'll finish helping you make the sweets. I have to stop back of the apartment to grab the outfits I was working on." She remarked, standing up to head back to the kitchen.

"Okay," Alya said wearily, taking the thermometer after it beeped. "One-hundred point five. That's kinda high." Looking to the fashion designer, Alya called for her.