Chapter Thirty-One

The sunlight got caught in the bracelet, causing little balls of light to dance around the table around Marinette. Her cheek was pressed against the cool counter as she watched the light flicker through each different color.

    It was roughly two weeks after Weyelen’s play. The morning air outside was crisp and there wasn’t a cloud for miles. The last time she glanced at the clock it was seven-thirty. It was earlier then she tended to wake up, but she couldn’t help the ball of nerves that sat in her stomach.

  Last night, she had encountered Adrien. And the memory kept repeating in her head.

------- Last Night------

    “Oh come on Mari,” Alya whined. She swayed dangerously on her feet as she attempted to make her way to the bluennette. “Come home with me.”

   The music pumped from the door they just exited. The sun was setting on a rather warm day, and the stars were already peaking out. Marinette felt warm and fuzzy on the inside. She was known for being able to hold her alcohol and was anything but a lightweight. 

   “Nooo, go back to Nino, I wanna go to sleeeep.” Marinette giggled. Alya pouted but way from her. 

    “Fine.” The brunette playfully stomped away. But not without turning around and blowing a kiss.

   Marinette rolled hers and didn’t bother to fight the smile. Tikki floated above Marinette’s shoulder and was thinking very hard.

     The bluentette wanted to say something that would break the silence, but she couldn’t bring herself to think enough to do so. She just continued humming as she made her way down the street. 

  The walk to her place was a long one, to say the least. She duly noted that she should check out driving classes later to get her license. It has never occurred to her before that driving would be a need, especially since most of the places she wanted to go were within walking distance. And what wasn’t close by could be reached with a taxi.

    “Marinette?” The single word sliced through the air and shocked the bluenette. Her head shot up and she locked eyes with familiar green.

   “Adrien?” His name slipped off her lips. She had that same feeling in her chest as when you listen to an old song you used to love. It felt suffocating and the déjà vu kicked in.

   Adrien gave her an awkward smile and rubbed the back of his neck. They stared at each other, both contemplating what the next move should be. The blonde sighed and wrung out his hands.

    “Please, let me walk you to your apartment. I just want to talk, I promise. I’ll never speak to you again after this if you want.” 

   Marinette felt like an iron hand gripped around her throat. Despite really really really not wanting to speak with him, she nodded her head. She had heard Adrien was better now, almost back to his old self. But she couldn’t help the knot at the pit of her stomach.

    Adrien shoved his hands into his pockets when they began to slowly make their way to her place. It felt like a crawl. Did walking normally take this long?

    “What I did was wrong.” Adrien was the first to break the silence. Marinette couldn’t bring herself to meet his eyes. “I know that, and I feel so god-damned stupid for how it went down. And I’m not going to make up excuses, I was being a dumb ass. I’m not even going to ask you to come back.”

       The blonde took a deep breath, only to calm himself down she could assume. The knot in her stomach tightened at his words. Wasn’t this a bit late? Even after his last apology?