VI.

I calmed myself down by writing and filing away today's incident in the committee records. Incidents that involved muggles were always recorded by the head of the committee for future reference. While I thumbed my way through the files, I lingered on the large stack of incidents that were recorded while Billingsgate was still the head of the committee. I pull them out, sitting criss-cross next to the record cabinet, and open them up. 

It was better than I expected. Although he was evil, he did his job well. He included all the details of every incident. Every clue that was found, every witness, and every protocol that was used to cover it up from the muggles. I hated how well it was all put together. All this information in one place and the Ministry had no idea that it was him that was killing the whole time. I almost shove the files back into their place when my eyes catch on a word. More specifically a name. 

Under a section labeled "possible suspects" was Draco's name. Of course, Billingsgate would try to throw the suspicion off of him and point it at Draco. I take out my pen, clearing Draco from the suspect list. 

Correction made by Head of the Muggle Worthy Excuse Committee, Ms. Y/N Y/L/N  

I smiled at my signature and felt relieved to have fixed Draco's attachment to the horrible incidents. He would never do anything so horrible. Satisfied, I start to put the file back until a document slides out onto the floor. I pick it up and turn it over and there's a picture of Draco at the top. He looks younger in this picture, still at Hogwarts age, and he's just looking back and forth with a sneer. He looked every bit a bully as Harry had insisted he was. I look farther down and read. It must have been attached to the "possible suspects" list because the paper is filled with his past offenses.

Perpetrator: Allowed Death Eaters into Hogwarts through vanishing cabinet; responsible for events leading up to Battle of the Astronomy Tower.

Accomplice: The murder of Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

Accomplice: The murder of Hogwarts Professor Charity Burbage.

Accomplice: The massacre of Gringott's Goblins. 

Known Death Eater; served under Voldemort (~1996)  until Battle of Hogwarts (2 MAY 1998); might be related to possible crimes still unknown

I looked back from the picture of the younger Draco and all the things he was connected to in disbelief. He became a Death Eater in 1996? He must have been only 16 then... I know I shouldn't be shocked, I knew that all of this happened. I knew that he was a Death Eater before. But reading the document made it feel different. Worse. 

He alone fixed the vanishing cabinet to let in the Death Eaters during my fifth year. The memory of that day made me shiver. How my friends and I had to hide in the common room while we listened to our home be destroyed. I couldn't sleep that night. 

He watched as innocent people were murdered. Massacred. He walked away at the Battle of Hogwarts. 

A knock on my door brings me out of my thoughts and I quickly fold the paper and hide it under my leg. 

"Come in!" 

My door opens and unexpectedly, Hermione pokes her head in.

"Hey, Y/N. Why are you sitting on the floor?" she asks after carefully closing the door behind her.