VIII.

[Hey, guys. It's been soooo long and I'm sorry it's taking a while for me to write and upload new chapters! I've started winter quarter of school a few weeks ago and I actually have a fiction writing class so I have something else taking up my writing time! But don't worry! I won't quit this story until it's completely finished! I already have an outline and know everything that's going to happen... Anyway, enjoy!]

After lunch, Noah and I walk back to the Ministry together. I'm deep in thought about the meeting I agreed to go to tonight and start to rethink my decision. I know Draco would be waiting for me to come home...

"I'm really glad you're coming tonight," Noah says out of the blue as if he was reading my mind. I turn away slightly hoping to hide the guilt in my face. 

"I'm excited to meet everyone," I reply. It wasn't a lie. I was excited to meet other Muggleborns like me, but the thought of being there made me a little anxious. I didn't know anyone, except Noah and his friends that I met today. But I haven't know any of them long. And the way Noah talks about me as if they all already know me... it's nerve-wracking. 

"They're excited to meet you, too. By the way, I don't think I mentioned it, but the meeting is under the cafe we just went to. It's a cellar but it's pretty roomy and comfortable. You can meet me at the cafe whenever and we can walk down together," he says and I laugh.

"Underground, huh? Spooky," I tease and he laughs, too. 

"Yeah, but it was a safe place during the war. Good for hiding from death eaters," his laughter fades. I gulp, feeling embarrassed again. I sounded insensitive. 

"I didn't even think of that. I'm sorry," I apologize but he only smiles and shakes his head.

"It's okay, don't apologize. It is spooky," he replies, laughing again. His laughter eases my tension and I feel able to laugh again, too. We walk the rest of the way to the Ministry and our office. On the way, I see Matthews and Collins walking from the direction of the Auror's HQ. 

"I'll see you later tonight," I tell Noah, dismissing myself.

"See you then," he smiles with a small wave. I turn to walk towards Matthews and Collins and see that they're already looking at me. Collins poking Matthews on the arm and them quietly laughing together.

"What's so funny?" I ask once I'm standing in front of them. They just exchange mischievous glances and laugh again. I put my hands on my hips and raise an eyebrow. Why are they being so weird?

"Getting close with Noah lately?" Collins finally asks. My eyes widen with the realization of what they were thinking.

"Noah is just a colleague, okay! We have to be close, we work together. It's nothing more than that!" I say which just causes them to exchange glances again. 

"Not what it seemed like at the cafe yesterday," Collins says and changes his voice to poorly mock Noah's voice, "I came as soon as I heard!" My mind flashed to that moment. How worried Collins looked. And especially the tension between Draco and him. 

"Besides," Matthews says, breaking my train of thought, "If it was nothing more you wouldn't have gotten so defensive." 

"Guys... please. I'm with Draco," I say, my voice hardening. I didn't want to say I felt offended by what they were insinuating but I couldn't help it. I could control myself. Just because I had lunch with my coworker who happens to be handsome doesn't mean anything was going on! 

"Alright, alright..." Collins says, picking up on my mood. There's an awkward silence and I begin to feel guilty at the tone I used with them. 

"So, how are Draco's parents?" I ask, hoping to change the subject. Matthews scoffs.