XVIII.

The Ministry suggested time off which I happily obliged. Usually, I wouldn't be eager to leave work but considering the months-long manipulation, I have to process and having to repair my relationship with Draco, a break from responsibility seemed nice. 

I spent weeks removing Amortentia traces from my system and from my apartment. The cups that I used for the Harlow tea were stained with traces of the potion, some so badly that I had to just throw them away. The traces in myself were harder to deal with. On some nights, even with Draco lying beside me, I would be consumed with missing Noah like it was some kind of withdrawal. With more grace than I could have ever mustered, Draco held me as I cried for Noah, and waited until the lingering effects of the potion subsided. I knew it hurt him, but he never left my side. 

Early this morning, Draco kissed my forehead as I lay still half-asleep on the bed, and gave me a quick explanation about running errands today. I was too tired to question it then but now that I'm alone in my apartment, I can't help but miss him. All day, I've done chores solely for the purpose of distracting myself from his absence. 

Like a saving grace, an owl flies in front of my window and perches on the window sill. I drop what I'm doing and run to the window, pushing it open to let the owl drop a small roll of paper into my palm. I unroll it and find that it was the most unexpected letter I have ever received. 

Dear Y/N,

I feel a talk between us is long overdue. Please join me at the manor when you are able. 

Narcissa Malfoy 

I hold the note for a moment, blinking at the neatly written words. I can't leave Draco's mother waiting but the letter is intimidating. I can't imagine anything she would want to say to me that doesn't involve her insulting my blood or demanding that I leave Draco. But I have hope. 

I apparate to the Malfoy manor, it looks a little scary and gloomy as I face the building on my own, but I make my way to the door anyway. Before I even raise my fist to knock on the door, it glides open and I am invited inside by a strong floral scent. Just on the other side of the room, Narcissa sits at a small table, trimming flower stems. She doesn't even glance at me and I make an awkward step, hoping she'll hear and look up at me. 

"Hello," I say, walking near her and she finally looks up. 

"Hello, Y/N. Join me," she says without asking, glancing at the chair across from her. I sit, trying to keep myself calm as I watch her steady hands at work. The flowers are white roses and she trims the stems at a delicate angle before placing them in a vase. She continues until the last rose is placed in the vase and takes a small breath before really making eye contact with me. 

"I never thanked you for saving my husband and me. You could have left us to save yourself, and you didn't. I am eternally grateful for that," she says and I perk up. 

"I would have never dreamed of leaving you there," I reply. She pauses, gazing into her bouquet of flowers. If I didn't know any better I would have thought that she was avoiding my eyes, ashamed. 

"In another time, the roles would have been reversed. It would have been Lucius and me on that stage, ready to sacrifice an innocent muggle-born. And we would have not shown the same mercy," she says, finally looking up to meet my gaze. I swallow, opening my mouth to reply although my mind offers no words. She shakes her head. 

"But as time goes on, I realize that all of our efforts were fruitless. The true nature of our world succeeded and the Deatheaters were cast aside. My own son, in love with a Muggleborn." Her tone holds no resentment and I feel like I'm on the edge of my seat trying to determine where this conversation is going.